1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Year Gifts for Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Jul 12, 2009.

1. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Hi folks. I was wondering what you give to your children at the end of the year? I have read ideas regarding Photostory etc, however head says that is a no-go for child protection reasons, which I totally understand.
    The cost can really add up. I wouldn't really want to spend even £1 per child. Am I being tight?!
    Last year I gave them a party bag with bubbles, and little 10p sweets etc. This year sweets are not allowed!
    An insight as to what you do would be great.

Regards, Andy.

2. I'm buying each of them a plain notebook for them to fill in with theirsignatures and messages and stuff. On the front I'll put a class photo (I guess you can't do this), and inside some of my favourite photos of the child from that year, alongside a message from me and my TA.

3. I have year 1 & have got them pencils with rubbers on the end (frogs, footballs, lions, etc) - 40p in Tesco!

4. We are their teachers not their parents/best friend/grannie/santa clause et al.

Why do you feel the need to buy a gift?

5. Personally, I think it's a nice gesture particularly as most of the parents will buy me a gift at the end of the year.
    I tend to buy teachery things, notebooks and pencils and stuff, which is nice for those children who don't have these things at home already.
    Tip - check ebay for 'job lots'

6. It is indeed a nice gesture - but most paents don't have to multiply their gift by 30 (or in my case by 32).
    I personally think a thank you/ wish for a fantastic holiday - plus a 'healthy' biscuit or piece of fruit is more appropriate.

7. tigeresslady

tigeresslady New commenter

I plan to go to poundland and buy some pencils/notebooks or something like that. At christmas I adopted the class a tiger from Howletts

8. Wow!!

I love the adopt a tiger idea! Might go there ....... (or dolphin/beaver/tree etc)

9. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I also adopted a tiger for my class at Christmas- one of those boxes from Smiths with a cuddly toy and info inside. We've used the info for Literacy- researching and doing reports on the species and the children take it in turns to take the tiger home each weekend. I'm not sure it would work as well as an end-of-year gift unless the next teacher uses it throughout the year.
    I've got mine a cheap biodegradeable flowerpot and have sown some sunflower seeds. I've also got some plant label-sticks to put their name on. They should start to appear in the next week or so, in time for the last day for my Year 6's!
    The majority of parents at my school don't buy gifts but I like giving my class a token at the end of the year to say goodbye. Previously, I've found cheap Mr Men and Little Miss books on ebay, chosen to reflect their personalities and written a personal note on the inside cover. I also once drew a portrait of each child, rolled up into a scroll. I never spend more than a pound per child but some things take more in terms of my time, which I give gladly.

10. I think it is a nice idea to buy the class a few wet play games that they can take up to their next class with them. That way each time they get it out they can remember that Miss/Mr... bought it for them. Guess who and connect 4 are always a winner (or the cheeper own brand versions from tesco)

11. They have fruit every bloody day at primary, why would they want a piece to take away at the end of the year?
    I appreciate this 'encouraging healthy eating' malarky but a little present or gift never hurt anyone! Its not a "feeling the need" to buy them a present, its the fact that when you have spent an enjoyable year with a class its nice to send them away with a little something that puts a smile on their faces.
    Its called the gift of giving. It gives you a warm feeling inside called 'happyness' :p

12. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I'm planning a party...we (the class)will make the jellies and biscuits,invite our teddies ,blow up balloons and have fun on the field (reception/yr1 class)

13. Yes - we're planning a party too!

14. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

I think a present to the class is the way to go - that way they get something meaningful that lasts, and you're under the £30 mark. I've got books/wet play games for them to take up to their next class, got the latest DVD to watch together on the end of term (hire or buy!) I put together a Leaver's Powerpoint which I burn onto a CD for each of the leavers, too. Really like the idea of adopting an animal; we have a local country park which does this so they might really like going and visiting their animal. Have also been looking into a magazine subscription to buy for my Year 5s - possibly "Horrible History" as they are fans!

15. I am going to print & laminate each child a bookmark from ********** which can be personalised, with good wishes from myself for their next year which is Year 6. I will also take in some cakes for their last day.

16. I think it's a lovely thing to buy a gift for a child, especially if you work in a school where some of the children don't have much and are grateful for anything. I have made personalised bookmarks before (wooden sticks with shapes on the top from hobbycraft for about £1.20 for 6). I also gave my first Reception class a photo frame I decorated (about 39p each from Hobbycraft again!) with a picture of them on their first day of school in. I love the idea of drawing a picture of the children if I was talented enough!! This year I have brought party bags and filled them with sweets (not 'healthy' but the kids will enjoy them!!) and little treats like bubbles and yo yo's.

17. I agree, i also think it's a lovely thing to buy a gift for a child. I have taken a photo of the children, at thier end of year prom, with thier friends and put it in a cheap frame ( 3 for 80p at wilkos). Costs less than 50p per child. Have also done the same for my TA ( will add a bottle of wine).

18. manic28

manic28 New commenter

It looks like a trip to tesco for some token goodies. I might even smuggle in a sweet! I have decided to print and laminate a picture of each of them using magmypic.com as a memory of them in year 5 also. It just adds a personal dimension. Cheap, but time consuming. Oh well.

19. HI iwas really broke and wanted to get my class a little something so i went down to the beach, collected some pebbles of all different shapes, colours and sizes, brought them home and polished them. I then bought a pack of stick on googly eyes, stuck them on and they looked great. I spread them all over a desk in the classroom and let the children come up and choose the one they liked the best each. They loved it and before they'd left the room they had all named them. Cheap as chips but effective!

20. I've just done ********** bookmarks too. You can personalise them and there are several topic type themes. I also bought magnets, 50p for a box of 2 frogs or 2 ladybirds each.

It's just a thankyou for a nice year and goodbye jesture really. I always try to limit it to 50p each and a bit of effort (eg bookmark or similar).