1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Year 9 options

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by itgeek, Jul 7, 2011.

1. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

Would somebody from a secondary school be prepared to comment on what the norm is now for options at the age of 14. I work in FE and am increasingly seeing fewer and fewer students applying for A level who seem to have taken a traditional GCSE program. Is this the norm for most schools and do any schools still offer a balanced academic GCSE program rather than just Maths English and Science and a range of Business, ICT, Drama, Art and other vocational options.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

In addition to English Lang and Lit, Maths and BTEC, Double or Triple Science, ours can choose any 4 from the range offered by the school:
    <ol>[*]Resistant Materials[*]Graphics[*]Textiles[*]Catering [*]Child Development[*]Art[*]Photography[*]Dance[*]Drama[*]Music [*]History[*]Geography[*]French[*]Spanish[*]ICT[*]BTEC Business[*]PE (GCSE and BTEC) </ol>

3. At mine they all do
    English Language
    English Literature
    Maths
    Double Science
    Religious Studies
    1 MFL - French/German or Spanish
    Must choose either Geography/History

Then they have 2 options from
    Triple Science
    A second or third language in addition to the compulsory one
    ICT - (double award for more able students)
    Art
    Food Tech
    Music
    PE
    Drama
    Business Studies
    The top half of mathematicians in the year group also do either Statistics or an AS Additional maths module
    My son has just done Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Lit, English Lang, French, German, Geography, Double ICT, Maths, Additional Maths, Electronics, Statistics, Religious Studies - as well as grade 6 music at home - fairly broad and traditional I would say and certainly not unusual

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

With the introduction of the EBacc, you will find more and more pupils will come to sixth form college with English, Maths, Two sciences, A language and a humanities.

5. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

Thanks very much to all who took the time to reply, and it seems every secondary is slightly different. ScienceGuy this is what I thought may be the future. The one thing that really strikes me about our intake is the lack of foreign languages. I suspect it will take at least two years in our catchment area to happen. The current system really does seem to me to hamper A level and therefore University choices. Maybe I am just a little long in the tooth.

6. ScienceGuy

I am a year 9 form tutor this year and I have had the delight of doing options with them. Whilst my school is not making a big fuss over the E Bacc., my prejudices towards a good curriculum did influence their choices with every pupil taking two sciences, 24/28 taking Geography and well over half continuing with a language. Whilst technology is important (and most if my form are doing a tech. course), I think that the E Bacc subjects will lead to the most academic options post 16 and help prepare them for further study. Whilst I can see why increased flexibility at GCSE was allowed a few years ago (and is still available for less able students) we are doing our pupils a disservice if we allow them to limit themselves unnecessarily.

7. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Why?

8. ScienceGuy

When I asked them they said that they had three good geography teachers over the last three years so they enjoyed the subject and wanted to carry on with it

9. AHem. Business Studies and ICT are not necessarily vocational options.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But their grades will be crap!