1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

end of year 4 assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by libei87, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hey.
    I wondered if anyone could help me.
    I'm an NQT and I'm due to start my first job as a year 5 teacher in September.
    I'm going in next week to meet my new class. The school have suggested that I carry out some assessments of the class in writing, maths (number) and reading.
    I want to be as prepared as possible for September with my planning so I need to get a sense of where they are at and what they can do.
    Has anyone got any suggestions about how I could assess them in these areas? I have all morning to carry out these assessments.
    Thank you in advance!
    Liz

2. Hey.
    I wondered if anyone could help me.
    I'm an NQT and I'm due to start my first job as a year 5 teacher in September.
    I'm going in next week to meet my new class. The school have suggested that I carry out some assessments of the class in writing, maths (number) and reading.
    I want to be as prepared as possible for September with my planning so I need to get a sense of where they are at and what they can do.
    Has anyone got any suggestions about how I could assess them in these areas? I have all morning to carry out these assessments.
    Thank you in advance!
    Liz

3. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

This sounds very odd. Have the class not already done their end of year assessments? If they have, then surely you can see the results of these?
    You are going to be a new teacher to the school and presumably this is the first time you've met them? It seems very strange that instead of getting to know them and establish some rapport for September you've got to assess them.
    A little unfair on you I think.

4. Do not assess these children on transition day.
    (1) The children are at the end of summer term, tired and begining to switch off so they will be of little value
    (2) You do not work there yet so you can not be asked/expected to level a load of assessments- this is the current class teacher's responsibilitly and similarly it is his/her responsibility to pass those results and/or transcripts to you.
    Go in, meet the children...enjoy and have fun. Wait for September to load yourself with marking etc