1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of unit target setting at KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by iheartcoffee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Hope I can pick a few brains about this - I am devising a front sheet for my KS3 classes to keep in their good work folders which records their levels but also the target set by the teacher having marked the work., to reflect on when attempting the next assessment.
    It has always struck me as unfair and a bit backward to set a target like: remember to refer in detail to the background of the poet, when the next assessment is a writing one, and in fact, the class will not be studying poetry (or perhaps any more literature) that year.
    I have always tended to keep my personal targets writing related because of this - focus on varying your sentences / remember to paragrpah effectively / experiment with more ambitious punctuation / etc as a way to keep targets relevant to the next task undertaken, but is it right that all personal targets are writing focussed? Each assessment I set also has a specific W/RAF attached to it as well, so these targets are purely for the individual to consider.
    Any advice or opinions much appreciated!
    IHC

2. Hello,
    Hope I can pick a few brains about this - I am devising a front sheet for my KS3 classes to keep in their good work folders which records their levels but also the target set by the teacher having marked the work., to reflect on when attempting the next assessment.
    It has always struck me as unfair and a bit backward to set a target like: remember to refer in detail to the background of the poet, when the next assessment is a writing one, and in fact, the class will not be studying poetry (or perhaps any more literature) that year.
    I have always tended to keep my personal targets writing related because of this - focus on varying your sentences / remember to paragrpah effectively / experiment with more ambitious punctuation / etc as a way to keep targets relevant to the next task undertaken, but is it right that all personal targets are writing focussed? Each assessment I set also has a specific W/RAF attached to it as well, so these targets are purely for the individual to consider.
    Any advice or opinions much appreciated!
    IHC

3. Hello iheartcoffee :)
    The English Progression Maps for reading and writing may be of some help, especially if your assessments are linked to the AFs, as they contain targets for each AF at each level. Obviously some are better than others, but it is a starting point. Instead of focusing on the specific unit (e.g. poetry), why not focus on the analytical reading skills they were learning? I don't think all personal targets should be writing focused but should instead be focused on the learning intentions, which also makes it fair on the children as they don't have to guess what they'll be assessed on. I do, however, include a literacy target/goal if the pupil's presentation/writing skills impede meaning or aren't up to scratch.
    I also try to include some AfL goal setting throughout a unit of work, rather than just at the end, using peer and self assessment (which I check) so that pupils know what they need to do to succeed before completing a summative assessment task. Here in, particular, the progression maps have been quite useful as I am able to give the pupils a list of targets to use which are associated with the AF element that we've just practiced/tried. This way I don't land up with "I heart your work!", hehe!
    In the end, they should end up having two goals a half term (our school policy is every 3 weeks) and this year I'll be trialling an idea I read somewhere to ensure continuity and (perhaps) pupils' engagement with and reflection on their targets, even when the next unit of reading/writing work is a half-term away. I will be asking my pupils to number the pages in their exercise book and will be providing a column on the target sheet in which they will be expected to indicate on which page they have achieved or attempted to achieve the target during the next related unit of work. Alternately, they will be given an opportunity to pick one paragraph/section to improve using their target once work has been returned. I will then sign it off if I agree that the target's been met. I'm hoping to create more opportunities for pupils to be responsible for their own learning!
    Hope that helps in some way!

4. manc

manc New commenter

This makes teaching sound really interesting.

5. Hello
    Thank you so much for the advice - it's hard during the holidays when you don't have people to bounce ideas off in the office!
    Have found the maps (I think) and the targets related to each AF - very useful, thanks! At the moment I am just using student friendly (and the NC) AF grids. Let me know if you want a copy of the student friendly ones - I find them more useful for marking as they're written in a far mroe user friendly language!
    Like the idea of numbering pages so that they can reflect on work done and where targets have been attempted. May give that a whirl!
    All the best
    IHC