1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of training year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by NewCSTeacher, May 20, 2018.

1. NewCSTeacher

NewCSTeacher New commenter

HI there,
    I’m a trainee teacher doing a School Direct course. At the start of the year I was told the course would end on the 29th June by the training provider. But now the headteacher at the school says since I’m receiving a bursary I’m expected to finish the school year. Note that I’m moving to a different school for NQT as I wasn’t offered a place at my training school. Is the headteacher right? All the other trainees at my school are staying on for NQT so they will not leave on the 29th anyway but I was planning on going to my new school several times in July to prepare for next year.

2. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Ask your training provider!

3. lineandsinker

lineandsinker New commenter

I did School Direct last year and was paid a subject bursary - definitely didn’t stay until the end of the school year! I finished at the end of June along with all of the other trainees. Perhaps they are thinking about the salaried route?

Best to check with your training provider.

NewCSTeacher likes this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

No the Head is probably trying it on to save supply money you are not employed so do not have to work until the end of term as would a salaried teacher- as long as you have completed your required 120 days for ITT throughout your programme

NewCSTeacher likes this.