1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of the term Exams

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nushibia, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hi
    We have been using the same home made exam for some years for each end of the term exam in different year groups. For year 9 however, we have used the last SATs paper for end of the year exam since last two years.
    Just wondering if it is better to buy the end of the year exams for different year groups for better and much reliable setting ?
    Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I always used optionals/old KS3 tests for internal exams as I felt that it was important that they were written by an external source, with an externally decided decision on level boundaries. Better if there is any comeback with HTs, SIPs, Parents etc...

3. Thanks trinity. Do you have self written exams for end of first and second term ? I understand optionals are for end of the year only.

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

They cover all the topics but there is no restriction on when they can be used.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We used to give pupils a test each term, using either QCA optionals, or KS3 papers. (I say used to because I now work in a prep school and we don't 'do' levels etc...) We test in Yrs 7 & 8 using old CE papers though, so similar in approach to what I was doing in a state school the previous year.

6. We had this problem for years. I've now persuaded SMT to allow us to do summative assessment only once a year (and we use the ones already mentioned for years 7 and 8 supplemented with an old year 7 one as an extra year 8 test as not all of our year 8s are miraculously L4s or above). All other assessment throughout the year is formative.