1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of the day routines

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pharri08, Oct 11, 2015.

1. pharri08

pharri08 New commenter

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a calm end to the day as currently it is carnage for me.

I usually finish at 3.10 to have my year 3 class ready for the 3.20 finish. Currently I dismiss a table at a time to go and get their belongings from the lockers in the corridor and then line up inside the classroom. The children who are yet to collect their things start to become silly whilst I am managing the locker area and the ones who have collected their things also seem to get bored of waiting and get silly too. It all leads to a rather stressful final 10 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.

2. summlard

summlard New commenter

I personally don't mind the end of the day being a little chaotic as long as the children are not harming anyone! After a long day of work I don't think 10 minutes of chattiness and noise is a huge problem.

Perhaps pack away 5 minutes earlier and have an end of game as an intensive? Heads down thumbs up? Quietest table is 'on'. Something like that?

3. frankiej

frankiej New commenter

Award table points or house points?
    I am doing this at the moment and it is working wonders. The table with the most points at the end of the week get something like a lollipop or a pack of haribos

4. pharri08

pharri08 New commenter

Thanks. Good to hear that a little bit of chaos is normal, just think it has been getting a bit too rowdy. I think the timing is an issue, as I always seem to be rushing so perhaps giving it an extra 5 minutes would help calm things down. My classroom is quite tight on space as well, so often someone knocks one of the chairs off the table as they are going to get their things. Bit dangerous and also causes a bit of a brouhaha!

5. pharri08

pharri08 New commenter

I am using dojo points which has been great for non-verbal classroom management. Haven't actually thought to do this at the end of the day, so will try this tomorrow. Thanks

6. circustrain

circustrain New commenter

Don't put chairs on tables. We stopped doing this a couple of years ago & it has made such a difference.