1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of term = odd rituals?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Jul 20, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Well as the end of term approaches several members of staff start to show off their oddnesses.

For example throwing away the books in order for most liked class to least.
    Mixing up all the desk so they will be in a new place next year

My own is getting home after the last day of term and blitzing the kitchen, cleaning the oven, wiping out all the shelves/units etc etc.

Throwing my work keys into a drawer and burying them, moving all work clothes out of sight so I don't have to see them over the holidays.

Whats yours or am I/the staff just very odd?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Well as the end of term approaches several members of staff start to show off their oddnesses.

For example throwing away the books in order for most liked class to least.
    Mixing up all the desk so they will be in a new place next year

My own is getting home after the last day of term and blitzing the kitchen, cleaning the oven, wiping out all the shelves/units etc etc.

Throwing my work keys into a drawer and burying them, moving all work clothes out of sight so I don't have to see them over the holidays.

Whats yours or am I/the staff just very odd?

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

My work shoes... I walk in the house straight to the bin and put my work shoes in it.

4. I get out all my summer frocks and try them on in front of the full length mirror.

cyolba, debating whether to shave his beard off for the holidays :)

5. I burn the boxers ive been wearing all year!

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

In the days before I had my own kids I would take off my watch as I didn't need it for the next 6 weeks.
    Now I seem to have more to do in summer than in term time!

Tonight, however, I shall be taking my colleagues to the local pub, buying several rounds and getting slowly plastered with them. Whilst I am still coherent enough to get on the right bus I shall make my way home.
    No doubt when the government bring in their new guidelines on teachers' conduct this behaviour will get me the sack. Until then I intend to pickle myself.[​IMG]

7. I get home and pack for my holiday... I've taken to going away for the first week simply because I then 'switch off' from work. [​IMG]

8. I dye my hair a mad colour and get a new tattoo or piercing. I'm not sure where this ritual comes from but it makes me feel free to be myself for six weeks before being sensible again. Strange, I know.

9. cinderellyfaerie

cinderellyfaerie New commenter

I sleep.... or get very drunk, then sleep.. **insert common theme to my life**

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Put everything work related in the spare room out of sight.
    Wash the weeks work clothes so I dont have to be reminded of them when I do my main wash later in the week.
    Go out with friends or hubby and get p*ssed.
    Clean the house from top to bottom.
    Arrange all my flowers and cards and eat most of the chocs before hubby gets home.
    Go shopping for my hols the first day so I can start looking forward to my hols and switch off, even if I am not going til the end of the hols. I always buy myself an unnecessary treat.
    Change handbags.
    The first week do nothing but watch trashy telly and read books and magazines, hence the big tidy up on the first evening.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Welcome to TES MissErin

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I try to de-program myself, ie lose the timetable mentality. I get up when I please, turn in when I please, eat and sleep when I please. I make a list of small tasks that need doing and I do them (you've guessed it) whenever I please. I don't like anybody telling me what to do, when to do it, or setting deadlines for me for at least the first week of the holiday. I don't mind being busy rather than just lolling around, but it has to be stuff I want to do.

13. This is me except the alcohol!

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I feel very virtuous and geeky saying this, but I used to go to the library and get lots of good books out for the holidays.
    For me, a huge part of relaxation is curling up with a book .... and an obscene amount of chocolate.

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

new rituals
    hooray!
    don't unload car with masses of laundry and rubbish to do,having spent frenzied day trying to move all furniture, sort stuff, while tending to 30 plus odd small children
    Order takeaway meal of any sort
    open bottle of wine
    Consider tasks for next week ( which might include going back to workplace to do whatever) (glady done).
    I used to lie on the floor in a state of manic despair when arriving home after "last" day. Hooray. No more.

16. Usually I go out and get ludicrously drunk with mates. I don't drink very often so this is allowed. But this year all my mates are with, or nearly with child. So instead myself and OH are going for a meal. Where I will get drunk.

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

*** Cyolba, how on earth did you manage to find that?!
    I's not every day one thinks to google 'image of chocolate *** lolly'.
    [​IMG]

18. dande

dande New commenter

Would you have been happier with this one?

[​IMG]

19. dande

dande New commenter

20. Put away school clothes out of sight
    Dye hair brighter than I would get away with at school
    Turn of Mon-Fri alarm set for silly o'clock
    Do one day in school in first week of holiday then NOTHING school related for at least a month
    RELAX......................