1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End-of-term cultural topic ideas (French)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by -myrtille-, Jun 20, 2015.

1. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for a short topic to do with my top-set Y9 group for the last 6-7 lessons of the year.

They are an absolutely amazing group who have worked really hard all year and produced some phenomenal work. This week they have been doing speaking assessments and I had intended for them to be 2-3 minutes long, but they've all prepared so much and spent so much time practising that they've nearly all ended up at the full GCSE length of 4-6 minutes, and most of them are already significantly better than my Y10 students.

So once the speaking assessments are over, I want to do something more enjoyable. But at the same time, they're the kind of pupils who like being pushed, so I don't want it to be too laid-back and easy as they might get bored and lose focus.

I would like to do something cultural, particularly given that I'm sure a number of pupils will go on to study French at A-Level. We have already studied one film this year so I'm not sure about doing another one. Last time we did Tomboy which was quite heavygoing but brought about some really interesting and mature conversations about gender identity, parenting, etc. So if I do another film I'd want to do something completely different and more light-hearted.

Currently the only idea I've got is Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, perhaps with some work on researching the two settings (Provence and Nord/Pas-de-Calais) to give them more awareness of provincial France and the variety within the country - so it's still fairly meaty but balanced out by the humour of the film.

I may stick with that, but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you had a dream class of able, motivated and well-behaved pupils, what would you do with them for the last few weeks?

2. I known you said that you are not too keen on another film auto but every year I finish Y9 with Les Choristes which all my groups love. I do some work with the story, characters... Nothing spectacular but it's enjoyable.

If not intouchables is a great film to study. I tend to do it more in Y10 but that could suit you too.