1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of term assemblies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by loodle1, Jul 24, 2012.

1. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

My holidays being slightly different this year I managed to get to some
    plays and assemblies at my kids' primary school. I was rather taken
    aback by the behaviour of some of the parents - standing up in the
    middle of the hall with phones videoing stuff and talking through other
    pupils' performances etc etc. I'm secondary so I don't really know what
    the norm is here but I found it quite rude when a group of parents
    chatted throughout an instrumental piece done by a string quartet from
    year 5. The parents also got up and wandered out of the hall at the same
    time the kids were leading out which I found a bit odd. I'd be
    interested to hear about anyone else's experience of this - is this par for the course or do other schools do things differently?

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

It's been a few years as youngest has just left year 11 but I never saw any behaviour like this.
    I think that's incredibly ignorant. I'm surprised the head didn't lay down some rules at the start of the performance.

3. Our Head now HAS to politely manage the parents' behaviour: points out that as we expect the children to enjoy their friends' performance in silence, could we ask parents to do the same; please don't block the view of others if taking photos; please remove distressed babies from the room. It's no wonder some of our children are as thoughtless as they are - and it's nearly always the "nice" families that are like this.

4. As a primary Head, I have to say that unfortunately an increasing number of parents lack social skills and basic good manners. I always start any school performance with a spiel about how our children and staff have worked really hard to put the production together and say that I expect the audience to listen attentively so that we can perform to our very best standard. I also outline 'rules' for photography or videoing (thou shalt not stand up and obscure anyone else's view in order to get your own shots!) We also have a rule that preschoolers can only attend the dress rehearsals of our plays and concerts. It would be lovely if all this were not necessary but, alas, when you've had to go and sit between two fathers to prevent a punch-up, had parents turn up drunk to an afternoon carol service and needed to reprimand a mother for actually talking on her phone during a Nativity play, a few reminders about basic manners do not go amiss!

PS And yes, Admin Princess, it is little wonder that the children of such parents are usually thoughtless and rude too!

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

At our last Christmas celebtration in the local church I was horrified to notice parents standing up and leaving as each class presented their song or poem. By the time it was the last class on the programmes turn the church was nearly empty.
    It was the height of bad manners and totally disrepectful to the children. It would (before this) never have occured to me to ask parents / carers to remain for the whole celebration.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Totally agree!
    I've noticed this at concerts. Such bad manners!

7. loodle1 - your comment made me chuckle.

As 'interesting' as policing a performance can be, it pales into insignificance when compared to crowd control at sports day...that's an afternoon that puts years on me!