1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of term assemblies - it's a rant!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clear_air, Jul 18, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why do the teachers at my children's school insist on getting them to sing along to pop songs that are too fast for them - and it's not even a backing track???? I'm here, watching a group of dear little Y2 children struggle valiantly to sing a song that is too fast/too many words ( or they've not practiced enough), and he audience is chatting away while the pa gets turned up louder and louder.
    I don't get it. When did the Keep It Simple principle die a death? Why are people happy with short changing the children where singing is concerned? Why do I feel like a lone voice when I say that they can do sooooo much better?!
    And don't even get me started on the prize giving! We haven't even got that far yet!!!
    *and breathe*

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why do the teachers at my children's school insist on getting them to sing along to pop songs that are too fast for them - and it's not even a backing track???? I'm here, watching a group of dear little Y2 children struggle valiantly to sing a song that is too fast/too many words ( or they've not practiced enough), and he audience is chatting away while the pa gets turned up louder and louder.
    I don't get it. When did the Keep It Simple principle die a death? Why are people happy with short changing the children where singing is concerned? Why do I feel like a lone voice when I say that they can do sooooo much better?!
    And don't even get me started on the prize giving! We haven't even got that far yet!!!
    *and breathe*

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Apparently the audience is also posting on tes...presumably on a mobile phone?

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I was left a message at 8.30am to say that the year 6 teacher wants to do a particuar song on Friday in leaving assembly with her class. She has forgotten to ask me about it this week when I was in. She doesn't know how it goes and can I do anything about it? It is my day off today and I work at another school tomorrow.I don't work at that school on Fridays. I am not quite sure what I am expected to do!!!!
    To me it is obvious-don't do the song!
    Chose a favourite one that they enjoy and can sing really well.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I fear we have reached a new (albeit temporary) low in the downward spiral of technology-induced rudeness and decline in attention spans.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It's the only way to survive the tedium! I've got it silent, and I stop to clap. I've waved at my daughter and helped to entertain toddler siblings. What more do they want?? ;-)

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Not sure that I can be held to account for a short attention span... However, I accept the wrist slap. Naughty me.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

it was lovely when they spontaneously broke into a rendition of 'the grand old duke of york' - I don't understand the obsession with whizzy backing tracks that don't help children to find their voices. I had an interesting chat at occupational health last week, and here nice lady said that I was perhaps setting the bar too high - but not on this matter! These assemblies are the public face of he school, and the singing (partly out of respect for the non sporty kids) should be good. *sigh*

9. this all sounds amazingly complicated for an end of term assembly - what happened to lisping out 'what we have done this year' with the ones not up to lisping holding up pieces of work?
    and the phone may be silent, but presumably it lights up when used

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It wasn't dark! I stood at the back and helped prevent escapee toddlers from escaping. There was lots of (bad) singing and passing microphones between children and power points of said children. Fine if your child is one of the favoured few...

11. ah well - with luck it'll get better as your kids get older

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Seren_dipity, I'm glad about that! I shall attempt to restrain myself from getting the phone out this afternoon in the next one, as I shall also attempt to barge my way to the front and festoon myself with cameras as the mother of a Leaver. That'll be weird!
    Kinsa, how did you cope?! (you have made me laugh, though!) Maybe the teacher concerned was a little over enamoured with Glee?

13. i do have sympathy with your boredom - and that awful feeling you coukld be doing something else!
    it's right up there with children throwing up in the downsides of being a parent, as far as i'm concerned

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Heh heh! This is so true! No one told me about this when I was having a baby (or three!)!! Just like no one tole me about snot. Or headlice. Or worms.[​IMG]

15. don't mention the worms!! [​IMG]

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Soorrreeee!
    And see, I've managed to keep away during turgid assembly part 2. (was too busy whispering to my friend ;-)

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

keep away? LoL Freudian