1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Spring resignation advice!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by deselby, Feb 3, 2016.

1. deselby

deselby New commenter

Good evening all!

Having reached the point of no return with regards to sleepless night, feelings of anxiety and general loss of mental health (with a pinch of fabricated support plans being thrown around), I've decided to finally take the plunge and walk. I don't have another job to go into, but am in the process of applying for some (non-teaching) roles, with the possibility of doing some cover in the interim if needed.

Although it was very cathartic writing the letter in the first place, I've been really confused with the date that I put for my last day of employment. Our school's final day before the Easter break is on Thursday 24th March, but I've seen some mentions that this term doesn't officially end until the 30th April. It seems like I'm taking the mick if I say something along the lines of 'my last day of attendance will be Thursday 24th March, but my last day of employment won't be until the 30th April'! Could anyone clarify for me what I should put? Or should I just mention that my intended final day of attendance will be Thursday 24th March? I fear that our current head will look to be as much of an obstacle as possible with this!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. deselby

deselby New commenter

Thanks for this TheoGriff. I did actually see this post before, but perhaps it's my half-tired mind, I still didn't quite understand this point about what to state as my final day of employment.

Here's the part of the example letter from that article that I'm confused with:

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 20th April 2015. My last date of employment will thus be 19th April, and my last date of attendance will be Friday 27th March. (put in date of last day of term).

Where has this 20th April come from? Is that the first day of the new term, with the 19th being the final day of the holiday? Is this an expectation that the school cannot really refuse? Like I said, I'm sure that my head might try to make an issue out of this!

4. subowie

subowie New commenter

The 20th of April comes from the dates last year I think. This years date is the 30th April with the last date of attendance being the 29th. Thats what my business manager at school has told me anyway. I am too a little unsure what to do and say in the letter as I dont start at my new school until the 3rd May so want my current school to emply me until 2nd May so I have continuous employment - not sure how to word that either!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You read the example letter too quickly, and didn't take in what it says at the beginning of the article.

:) There is no problem here if you re-read the article from the start:

Your old school stops paying you on the day before the new term starts. No problem there. So if their term begins on Monday 20th April, in your letter you say that you are resigning with effect from Monday 20th April, so that the old school will pay you up to and including 19th April.

No, they will not employ you beyond 30 April. Your new school will employ you from 1st May, even if the term doesn't begin then.

Best wishes

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter