1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of placement gift for student teacher - ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by glmay, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am usually ok with coming up with unusual end of placement presents for my trainee teachers but this year I am a little stuck and need some inspiration.

My trainee this year is a first year on her degree and its hard to read what she is interested in and like / dislike. Chocolates are a no no because she is trying to lose some weight.

Please help!

Frustrated mentor

x

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I got each of mine some post-its from Vistaprint with Mrs Whoever says: and a suitable picture on. The ones I have are well received by students, and the trainees seemed to like them too.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm thinking of some sheets of stickers. Mine seem to have gone through oceans of them, so they can take their own to their next placement. Those finishing this week are first year BEd students, so will have more placements to go to.

Might get something better for the PGCE students when they finish later in the term. Or they might get the same from me and I'll leave the teacher tutors to get their choice of something.

4. mpc

mpc

Little box of stationery - always handy for teachers - pens, pencils, few rulers - mini classroom kit?

5. WOW

If I get a gift from my school mentor I'll eat my hat. I'll get her one...begrudgingly.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Flowers or a pot plant are always good for reluctant pressies!

7. A teacher-mug (I know teachers end up with oodles of them, but as a student teacher, I'd loveeee one!)
    A hand whistle (I felt very teachery when I bought my first whistle!)
    Placement survival kit (coffee, post-its, green pen, stickers, stress ball)
    Relaxation kit (mini bottle of wine, cooling eye masks, bubble bath, face mask)
    To be honest, the nicest present I got was a big card that the teacher had made with the children and they had all signed, it meant so much to me.
    Depending on how old your kids are, could they write her a letter telling her how grateful they are/ wishing her good luck which you could then laminate and make into a book with treasury tags? Make sure you add your own. There's going to be a time when she wants to give up, there always is. It would be nice for her to look back and remember why she's doing it :).

8. The best presents I have had from previous placements are a photograph of my class (I love it and looking at it brings back good memories) and a good luck card which the children had made and they had each written a message in it. They mean far more than something which is bought and I'd prefer that any day to a hand held whistle and relaxation kit. They are things we can buy ourselves but our memories can't be bought and it's nice to have something to remind us of the class we've taught and all the experiences we've had. After talking to a lot of people on my course about things the kids have made for us, it's clear that they stick and are far more memorable than say a mug or a pen saying best teacher on. If I receive a mug or something this year (and I never expect anything), while I'd appreciate it and wouldn't be ungrateful, I would be thinking that a class photo would have been nicer so I'd never forget the class. This can be taken when the student is in the room. Just pretend it's for another purpose. That's what my teacher did and then when I got it framed on my last day, it was a lovely surprise!

9. That doesn't sound very exciting. Sorry! I have loads of stationary so I wouldn't be impressed if I was given stationary. I'm not ungrateful but something made by the kids and a class photo is far better and you don't have to spend a penny. The resources to make say a card, will already be in school.

10. mpc

mpc

Unfortunately, in the secondary sector, class photos etc are not really applicable so I was going for something a bit more generic.
    PS Good luck in your teaching career!

11. Sorry, I was talking about the primary school. I understand why it wouldn't be appropriate for the secondary school.

12. At our (secondary) school we have bought named stickers before as some one else has suggested or books. Our favourites have been Sue Cowley books like 'How to survive your NQT year' or 'getting the b***ers to behave' or subject specific ones like 'red hot maths starters'. These seem to be appreciated and we can write something in a card or in the cover of the book from the department.

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can get a custom printed ringbinder/file from Avery they make lovely gifts and are good for work or home x