1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of nursery 'graduation'.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Apr 7, 2019.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No I am absolutely NOT suggesting anything like gowns and hats and scrolls etc. :rolleyes:

But traditionally school has given those leaving nursery a certificate at speech day, to recognise they are leaving the nursery and starting in main school in September.

However we now have children who are staying in nursery next year. (They start when they turn three as opposed to the September after their third birthday.) I can hardly give them nothing at all, with others getting a certificate, but then again they aren't leaving.

Just wondering what other people do in school based nurseries.

Any ideas welcome.

2. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

So glad you are not doing one of those silly hat/gown things!
    What about giving them a different certificate? 'See you next year!' type thing..... come back and play..... photocopied class photo?

May2 likes this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

What's wrong with "Next year that will be you"?

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Personally I wouldn't do anything specific, unless the rest if the school do for those not leaving. It's a bit like buying everyone a present just because one has a birthday. Children will be familiar with celebrating things for others so why should this be any different? Have an end of year celebration, looking back at their year for all of them but leave the certificates for those leaving. Or better still do you have to? If it doesn't happen in other year groups, then why nursery?

Marshall likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You take three year olds to speech day?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Over half the school leave speech day with something or other. Not all, but a majority for sure.
    Generally all of the nursery class leave for 'school', so get the certificate. It's new that we have some staying.
    Nothing at all in my mind. That's sort of why I'm asking, to find out if I'm just too harsh, or actually this kind of attitude is perfectly fine.
    Yeps! Whole school go.
    They all slept through the carol service (Some were asleep before Once in Royal David's City had finished!) so I;m hopeful something similar will happen with speech day. ;)

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It would be a shame if you had to wake them to go up and collect their certificate!
    Lots of outdoor activity before the speech day, methinks...

8. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D
    Hadn't thought of that!

9. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

We have a graduation, hats and gowns and all! I don't particularly get it but hey!

We give them certificates that have a specific skill they have e.g. 'you are loved for your amazing construction skills'

We also have some who aren't school goers but the graduation is in the evening after our nursery sessions are finished.