1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Modular

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Just read it and this is clearly an option. There is no indication of how likely it is that it will stay modular.

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Ah but read the first line of paragraph 3 of his reply. No apparent opt out for Maths there!

The reply also shows the urgency to get this in place, he obviously wants schools to opt for change from this coming Setember.

3. I have now just read his reply and you are right. He doesn't mention the Ofqual point about some subjects staying unitised. I thought Ofqual's letter was a reasonable one which made some good points in a clear manner. They clearly have some awareness of the need to be fair to students and teachers in giving some time to plan for linear only exams. Gove's reply seemed more about saying I want everything to change quicker and I don't care about anything other than getting my policies through. I am not against improving spelling, grammar and punctuation but these seemed to be getting major attention in his letter.

4. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Yes, I thought his reply was very curt. I read it as.....I told you what I wanted, I've read your reply, now do what I wanted and do it now!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I notice he wants to "encourage" schools to move to linear sooner. I wonder how he intends to do this. It is also amusing that he is in favour of Academies having more control over how they are run and then want to control more himself.

6. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]

7. pencho

pencho New commenter

Spoke to guy from OCR other day and also Edexcel. All seem to reassure us that modular continues with same style until the minimum Jan 2014 (modules available until then). Maths then may stay modular anyway.
    Awarding bodies appear to be waiting for details and I expect they will then make their representations on the proposals as they believe there will have to be a consultation if it changes policy.
    Neither of the people at OCR or Edexcel thought it was in anyway possible for Gove to stop exams being sat early. For example how would a school know a student is in Y11. Also if they banned them from doing the same examination with a particular board than they could just go elsewhere etc... They could not think of anyway he could actually do this. So it will be interestesting to see what he proposes.
    It also doesn;t make sense that he wants students to keep 'restting' maths and english til they pass (until 19 if necessary) yet he is against early entry. if they are a genuine borderline C/D pupil then let them get it out of the way early if you ask me.
    Also he is supposedly on record saying that he likes the idea of Vertical Teaching and has commended some big academies on raising motivation of Y9 to Y11 students who are doing intensive 1 year GCSE's. So if he did ban early entry, it would go completely against this. Not that he will be too bothered he is going against what he said.
    So I guess we play a waiting game and see what happens over the next few weeks. More information has to follow soon and we will see what proposals OFQUAL come up with.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Gove won't need to ban the taking of exams early, he will just need to make sure that league tables only count GCSEs awarded in June of Year 11, not difficult and will make the vast majority of heads leap into line.

9. We were pondering yesterday what it means for centres doing the Linked Pair pilot. The common routes so far seem to be M1, A1, M2, A2 or A1, M1, M2+A2 or similar variants, but basically most are doing the two Unit 1 exams before the two Unit 2 exams.
    Now if the rules change so that you have to take M1+M2 together and A1+A2 together, is the most sensible approach to take all four exams at the end of Y11? Or is there some worth in doing one qualification in Y10 and the other in Y11? We thought the first on balance, due to the large content overlap, but wondered if any centres might choose the second. (Of course if BillyBobJoe's suggestion were adopted it would be option 1 only anyway!)
    Kevin

10. pencho

pencho New commenter

Billybob
    If he did this then I'd like to think that schools, teachers and parents believe that it's the grade and not when they take the exam that is important and I think Ofsted would look at this also.
    I also think that there is no solid evidence in maths to say that a student gets a worse grade in maths if they take it in Nov Y11 than say Jun Y11
    What happens if a school has 4 hours of maths a week, compared to schools who have 2 hours. Does this matter?

11. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Well, yes it does. We used to have to suffer with 2 hours of maths in Year 11. Remember one year, we had Wednesday 5, Friday 4, to add insult to injury... Unsurprisingly, results were mixed...

12. pencho

pencho New commenter

So if it does matter.
    In my last school we had 3 hours of maths per week for 5 years.
    In new school we have 4 hours of maths per week.
    So if you are against early entry, why couldn't the ones on 4 hours a week, actually do it at end of Y10. They have done more maths already by then. This is partly why I don't really understand the argument that so many on here put against early entry and modular.

13. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Part of the argument is that we should be using the maximum time available to teach maths and then, since the system requires we have exams to take the exam at the last possible second.
    That way we could take the appropriate exam. For some that might be a level 1 numeracy qualification, for the majority a Higher GCSE and for the other tail of the distribution it could be Further Maths A level.
    But teach the maths, then decide on the test, not drive the lessons to meet the test all the time.

14. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Hmm. Must admit my response was simply in relation to hours. I've never had four hours a week - what a luxury!! However, I'm not averse to early entry for those who will benefit from it. I let half of my top set do Nov entry last year, and it worked since they all wanted it out of the way, appreciated the chance to do FSMQ afterwards, and also the fact that they could concentrate on just maths in November with no other exams to worry about. It worked really well.
    Four hours... we could really teach maths with that amount of time...

15. Oh the luxury! No other exams in November? What with Science modules, early entry English, etc November for us is almost as busy as May/June!
    I'm ambivalent about early entry - not in the sense that I don't care, more that I think it works for some kids and not for others.
    I've worked in a 13-19 school where 3/14 groups do GCSE in Y10 and at least one of these goes on to complete AS in Y11 with a good distribution of A*/A in GCSE and lots of A grades in AS, thus not compromising future uni choices. I've also experienced lower ability groups in Y10 that are likely to become ghosts in Y11 so getting them their G/F grade before they disappear into the ether is a bonus for them and us.
    I'm not sure about blanket entry in Y10, whether it's modular or linear, because I think it just perpetuates a "re-sit culture".

16. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Obviously a bit of a side-track...
    I can see how getting kids G/Fs might hit a teacher's targets, but a bonus for them? Really?
    Is there any out-of-school situation where having a F at GCSE will make the slightest practical difference from having a G or no result at all?
    I expect some employers will see D grades as "almost made the C... Yep.. OK.."
    But F?
    And don't the kids know this? Isn't this one of the reasons they become "ghosts" in Y11?

17. Yes - for some who actually want to have achieved something and not go onto the next phase of their life with nothing to show for what happened at school. I know they are probably a tiny minority but some of the "ghosts" will look back in future years and be proud of having a GCSE in Maths - at any grade.
    And you're right - it is a side track...

18. HELP!
    Has anybody out there got a full copy of the old SMP green scheme (including assessment materials) that we can buy from you? If you have any part bits and pieces please get in touch.

URGENT!!!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Having mentioned this to my tutees, the opinion seems to be that some prefer modules and some prefer a linear paper as the different approaches suit their learning styles.
    I am glad that some children will not be pushed to do GCSE early when they are not able.