1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Modular

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Standards (exam results) are so going to fall under this government (unless, you know, they fudge it).

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Did modular for 2 years results soared then changed back to linear in an attempt to

1) Separate learning from constant cramming for an exam.

2) Get pupils to focus on learning Mathematics rather than cramming for an exam

3) Get pupils to take exams seriously rather than expecting multiple resits

I like the move and think it will go through for exams taken in 2014 As linear already exists. I also agree that we need one exam board and three tiers. Oh yes and I loved SMP Green Scheme but an equivalent will not be needed now as we only did it with pupils who were too weak for a G grade. The same pupils would now probably get an E grade!

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

ending modular (while something i whole heartedly support) in itself will do little unless school are prevented from early entry. Otherwisde it will just be Linear foundation repeated from June year 9 / Nov year 10 / June year 10 /Nov year 11 then June year 11, unless ofcourse they pass when they get switched to higher!

4. Don't forget, there will be March exams as well, so it could be June year 9/ Nov year 10/ March year 10/ June year 10/ Nov year 11/ March year 11/ June year 11!

5. pencho

pencho New commenter

Do people honestly still believe that every student gets the best out of maths from a single exam at the end of Y11? Banning Modular and early entry would in my opinion be quite detrimental to some students.
    It's all good and well people one here saying lets really push the students in Y9 to Y11 and show them how exciting maths can be etc... and push them as hard as we can. Until we get inspirational maths teaching going on in far more lessons, it is just not going to happen. Maybe a lot of the respondents on here teach in fully staff and experienced departments, with teachers who can inspire students. However there isn't many of these around.
    A lot of students in GCSE years are taught by far from inspiring teachers and they are turned off from maths before they even get to GCSE
    I also believe that real short term goals are far better than one long term 5 year goal. I'm sure many of us as teachers prefer a short term goal than a really long one.
    From the respondents on this thread I am clearly on my own on this one. That's fine. I do stand by what I believe though.

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

The DFE is full of junior "wanna be" MPs who want to make their mark by changing as many things as they possibly can. Most of them are in their early 20s and they think the sun shines out of their ***. They're on a change 'adrenalin rush'. Gove gets his kicks by choosing which hair-brained scheme to back, and which one to shelve. Like his "wanna be" stooges, he will judge himself on the amount he changes, not by how 'successful' it is. In any case, as we all well know, there will always be some statistic somewhere which will convince him that his is the only way...
    I heard somewhere that it was said in a DfE meeting that change is a prerequisite because it isn't good for teachers to get too cosy...
    Live with it, folks. The days of the 70s, when nothing changed, are long gone...

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sadly, Education Secretaries change for two reasons. Either they are fired/resign because they are not up to it, or they are promoted to a better job. We won't see any real improvements in the education system in this country until the job is seen as amongst the most important in the cabinet rather than something to do until something better emerges.

8. I do not believe that exams are designed to "get the best" out of students

Is the "goal" a grade C in maths ... in which case ... let's fight to keep modular

If the goal is something different the let's put our energy into that

9. Regardless of whether modular exams make it easier for lower ability students to get a 'C', modular courses promote a 'learn and dump' mentality which defeats the principle of providing good quality education, the purpose of which is to provide life skills. Hence it is not unreasonable to expect students to demonstrate what they have learned and remembered at the end of their compulsory schooling.

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Yep agree - however to counter slightly (and while my preference would be a single terminal exam with three teirs ) modular if done sensible at periods throught year 11 may be OK.

ANY exam system which is open to the current abuse - i.e doing it repeatedly throughtout including year 9 (barmy) is the real problem and one that Mr Gove - in his ignorance is failing to address

11. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It doesn't have to be that way.
    The core parts of A level maths are certainly not "learn & dump" as the skills needed for C1 are required to access C2-4.
    But it certainly seems to be that way with the new 3-part GCSEs.
    (PS. I was teaching core earlier this week and some of my students had questions about an upcoming geography test; the statistics they use for geography isn't covered in their S1 module. "Back in my day...", A level maths more than met the demands of all the other subjects maths needs and the maths department ran enhancement sessions for students not doing A level but who needed more advanced maths than O level to do their other A levels.
    It seems to me it's now the other way round!)

12. DM

DM New commenter

13. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Am I reading this correctly, he really wanted these changes to start Sept 2011?
    He is obviously totally unaware of the fact that in schools new SOW have to be planned for.

Looks like the three times a year entry is a no go.

How will he stop Summer Y 10 early entry, Autumn Y11 resit, Summer Y 11 resit?

14. PaulDG

It rather looks like Gove was pushing at an open door.

15. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

page 4 of 5 part c) reads as if exams can only be taken at the end of Y11 now wonders if they will still be able to do GCSE Statistics at the end of Y10.

Will a sixth form one year GCSE resit class starting in September 2012 still be able to do modular? Can't wait for the next installment of information.

16. PaulDG

I didn't read it that way as it surely makes no sense to say these exams can only ever be taken by 15/16 year olds?
    Why would the system prevent a gifted 8 year old from taking relevant GCSEs if they and their parents want [them] to?
    I read it as meaning the option to "string out" modules over several sittings was going. So, you could still enter all of year 9 if you wanted, but each candidate would either pass/fail their entire GCSE. No module carry-overs
    And since very few year 9s would be capable of passing the whole GCSE the incentive to throw them at a module they might scrape and then resit it again in November, etc. goes away.

17. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Oh, it's meant to make sense!

18. DM

DM New commenter

Aaaarrrrghhh!

19. From Gove's reply to Ofqual
    "I strongly believe that a greater focus on teaching rather than assessment during the course will be of benefit to pupils"
    I can only assume that this sends AfL out of the door along with APP.
    I was asked a question at an interview recently: "Can you explain why assessment is an important part of teaching Maths?" My reply was along the lines that without assessment you don't know where you are starting from and without knowing where you are you can't possibly know how to get where you are going (I got the job by the way - possibly the panel was bamboozled by my answer!).
    Somebody asked how long he would last as Ed Sec. I was contributing to another thread earlier today, on which somebody suggested that teachers were being treated with contempt and it occurred to me that it seems to be part of the job spec to treat teachers with contempt. Secretaries of Education have always done this, even the ones who claimed to have been teachers in previous careers (a wise person once said that converts are always the most evangelistic).
    He'll last as long as he can convince Cameron and his baying hordes of Big Society acolytes in the fight against public services that he is on their side and b*llocks to the education of future generations who can't/won't choose the elitist path of an independent school education.

20. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Am I reading Ofqual's letter correctly? P5 point 18 implies that some subjects, maths is cited as being one, may well be worthy of remaining unitized by virtue of the fact that specifications fell naturally into units long before the fashion for modular exams came to be.
    If so, is there a chance that modular might still remain?