1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Astralabe, Nov 29, 2011.

1. So it's my last day of maternity leave tomorrow. I've had a year and two weeks so inknow I've been lucky... Sometimes I must admit I struggle to think through our day and what activities will get us through... But in the majority I just love spending time at home and I'm having a very very last minute panick attack about going back (full time!!!!). Sasha has has setting in sessions at nursery but eek... Not napped for any of them and although I love the fact she enjoys it there I so worry about that. Reassurance?

2. So it's my last day of maternity leave tomorrow. I've had a year and two weeks so inknow I've been lucky... Sometimes I must admit I struggle to think through our day and what activities will get us through... But in the majority I just love spending time at home and I'm having a very very last minute panick attack about going back (full time!!!!). Sasha has has setting in sessions at nursery but eek... Not napped for any of them and although I love the fact she enjoys it there I so worry about that. Reassurance?

3. Ah Astra! Remember how you used to feel about going back after summer hols? If you're anything like me you'll sleep badly the last night of summer hols. And yhat's only 6 weeks off. As you know I can't offer you any experience in this other than I'm sure it's last minute jitters and totally understandable. A woman at my work cried each time her children first went to nursery- and she had 4! Good luck. Be strong. S will be so tired she'lleventually zonk out- won't stop you worrying of course. Here's hoping for a smooth day.

4. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

ok, so i've gone back part time but i enjoy the adult company and sometimes it's actually like a break. not that R is hard work, but at least you get a bit of time to yourself at work (a BIT!). it's nice to feel a bit important again and like i'm engaging my brain.

R goes to nursery for 1 day and has only just started sleeping there after 3 months! he would only have about 25mins to begin with but had 1 hour 25 last time! hurrah! they do fabulous activities there and the food is lovely too. his face lights up when he sees the other babies and he's formed a strong bond with one little boy. best of all i know they adore him there and i've seen the way they snuggle and cuddle him up which helps me know he's just fine there.

sasha will be fine too, there may be some tears to start with. R has only just stopped crying when we drop him off (which lasted all of 2 minutes they told us) and now smiles and holds out his arms to his key worker!

i love picking him up at the end of the day and finding out what he's been up to and find i'm full of energy for him, sometimes when we spend the whole day together i'm exhausted by the end of it.

the work side of things is harder. when i went back i honestly thought i'd forgotten how to teach, it was really odd. my time management was all over the shop too. i told people i was finding it really hard and everyone was very understanding. but you'll find a new way of working soon, for example i try and leave quite early to spend time with R, then work at 7pm when he's gone to bed.

i wish you the very best of luck, take your time and don't be hard on yourself if it takes a while to get back into your groove. kj

5. Ah Astra! Remember how you used to feel about going back after summer hols? If you're anything like me you'll sleep badly the last night of summer hols. And yhat's only 6 weeks off. As you know I can't offer you any experience in this other than I'm sure it's last minute jitters and totally understandable. A woman at my work cried each time her children first went to nursery- and she had 4! Good luck. Be strong. S will be so tired she'lleventually zonk out- won't stop you worrying of course. Here's hoping for a smooth day.

6. Good luck Astra. After a couple of weeks you get into more of a routine and that is bit easier. I won't lie - as you know, I find working and being a mum really hard. Sasha will be fine - you'll find it worse than she does! Hope you both manage to sleep.

7. Good luck with going back to work x It'll take a while but you'll soon be in a routine and Sasha will love it. She's already had lots of contact with other babies through the things you've done together. I find being at work is just so busy I don't have time to worry too much. Leaving in the morning is the hardest bit for me, and I'm only part time. Getting back to being a teacher will be fine - just go easy on yourself and don't try to do too much. Will be thinking of you x

8. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Agree with all of this! Nursery has worked out very well for us (part time) and although my LO cried all day when she first started, and I cried walking down the stairs and leaving her, within a few days she was squealing with delight when she saw we were there in the morning! She loves the activities, the food, her lovely keyworker, the other babies... and it gives me time to be something else rather than a mum. The days when it has been hard, were when one or both of us has been ill... in 3 months I've had 4 colds and a tummy upset. she's had a chest infection, runny nappies for 5 weeks and a sickness bug. Luckily I've only had to take one day off as I was vomiting but I found the nursery germs mixed in with school germs were a melting pot of bugs! If you have a back-up plan, eg family or friend that can help, that's a real bonus. It does build up their immunity which is good for later.
    Re: sleeping, Baby Kitten didn;t sleep at any of her settling visits, but her first full day she slept twice. She has shorter naps at nursery because they do wake each other up (3 cots to a room) and she sometimes sleeps in the car on the way home, which is annoying but she's so exhasuted at bedtime she sleeps through anyway. The next day is great, she always has a 2 1/2 hour nap so I can do my planning for the next week! I'm sure Sasha will crack the sleeping soon, as SR says they jus zonk out.
    Good luck, not long til Christmas hols xx

9. Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and I know you're right, Sasha will love it and I am looking forward to teaching again. I guess it's a kind of mourning - we won't have this sort of time together again even on a second maternity leave... And I just hope she squeals with laughter at nursery the way she does with me. We had a lovely last day though - she joined the march and then an afternoon in the park. Thanks again! I will just grow a pair.

10. Well I cried all the way to work but then as to be expected was so ****** busy I had no time to think...! Collected her early and she was happy banging the table and showing another boddler how to cause havoc! I know it will get easier xx

11. Glad you made it through today x x Sounds like Sasha had a blast! Christmas hols soon :)