1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of day prayer

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CurlyWhirly, Aug 3, 2010.

1. CurlyWhirly

CurlyWhirly New commenter

Hi Guys,
    I would like to use an end of day prayer this year - could you share some examples?
    Cheers

2. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

'We fold our hands and softly say
    Thank you God for school today'

'Thank you God for another day
    Caring for us while we work and play'

There was a longer one we used to use, but I can't remember it offhand...will see if it's on my memory stick.

3. mum123

mum123 New commenter

Hi

Have used 'Dear Jesus, keep us safe till morning'.
    However, something I will be introducing this year, children will write some hometime prayers, and the helper of the day, or a star child will read their choice from the prayer book. Might also have sensible children saying some 'off the cuff' prayers, as I think these all add a further dimension to the Christian ethos in our school.
    [​IMG]

4. God, our Father, I come to say
    thank you for your love today.
    Thank you for my family
    and all the friends you give to me.
    Guard me in the dark of night
    and in the morning send your light. Amen.

5. CurlyWhirly

CurlyWhirly New commenter

Dear Mum123

How did "keep us safe till morning..." end?

We're not a Christian school but I think a prayer is a nice, calm and peaceful way to end the day. I really like the idea of the children writing their own prayers - they will be really meaningful to them.
    Thanks for your help.

6. from september the whole school will say a prayer at the end of the day even though we are not a church school.
    We got all the classes in the school to note down things they would like to include in the prayer. the year 5 and 6 children then collated this and wrote our school prayer for us. Its nice that is the children's own work.

7. Diolch am yr ysgol, yr hwyl a chwarae gawn
    Diolch am y gwersi, bob bore a phrynhawn,
    Diolch i Ti Iesu, am ein ffrindiau lu,
    Diolch am y Mam a Dad,
    A catrefi ni
    Amen

In Wales obviously! [​IMG]

8. Lord, Keep us safe this night
    Secure from all our fears
    may angels guard us while we sleep
    'til morning light appears
    Amen

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I work in a C of E school and each September each class choose it's own class prayer. I'm not sure about KS1 but KS2 write their own as a class. This year my class wrote
    Dear God,
    Thank you for this glorious day, we appreciate all the help that we have been given
    Thank you for our families and friends
    Please forgive us for our mistakes and help us each to become a better person
    Peace be with you
    Amen.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Does it HAVE to be a prayer? Will non-religious children or those of non-religious parents be permitted to opt out?
    Why not an end of day non-religious blessing, e.g., the following Celtic blessing which should not raise any hackles with atheists or humanists...

The peace of the running water to you,
    The peace of the flowing air to you,
    The peace of the quiet earth to you,
    The peace of the shining star to you,
    And the love and the care of all of us to you.

There are plenty of other examples to be found.

11. "We fold our hands and softly say, thankyou for our lovely day."

12. Dear God
    Thank you for our day at school, the friends we've made and the people
    who help us. Keep us safe this night until we meet again.

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I pray that it some kind of joke.
    Who will your prayer be directed to? If you are not a church school then you have no place having a prayer at the end of the day.
    Saying something nice isn't the same as praying.

14. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

I presume teachers are allowed to withdraw from this? That'll be 5 mins off at the end of the day..

15. ***!

16. Sorry don't understand.

This is a powerful blessing if you consider the words. Maybe one for the children to refect upon rather than just 'say'.

17. RC school - we say the Hail Mary at the end of the day. ....and at the hour of our death, amen.
    Actually as a non-Catholic, I find the Hail Mary rather beautiful in places, and I sang it in latin in choir a lot, but it is not one I would choose for daily use at the end of the school day.
    I do love the celtic blessing, although I know it as Deep peace etc, and we sang it as a hymn.

18. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Worrying indeed. I would refuse to do this.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'm not quite sure to which part of my post your *** was directed.
    To be honest, being a roaring great Born-again Atheist I find the whole concept of an end-of-the-day prayer to be a bit ***. However, I was trying to provide the OP with some food for thought and an alternative.
    I assume that any end-of-the-day prayer would come under the same regulations as any other aspect of 'collective worship' in a school - i.e., that pupils (as requested by their parents) have the right of withdrawal.
    As a HT, I would actually advise the OP to make sure she had the agreement of her HT before proceeding with this plan. After all, collective worship in a school is legally the HT's responsibility, not the individual teacher's. I would not agree to an end-of-the-day prayer in my own school, but would (reluctantly) agree to a non-religious blessing as a means of calming the pupils down and instilling them with some form of moral message.
    But then the OP is not in my own school.

20. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Indeed. I've just looked this up. It is perfectly acceptable, apparently, for an act of daily worship to take place in a classroom as long as at least 51% of your prayers throughout the year are directed at the Christian God.
    Insanity.