1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of day games

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chubacka, May 19, 2010.

1. My class really likes the game Thinking on the Spot. It's in the Resources posted by Gibb.

2. WE DON'T WANT A PEE - They love the title of this game!
    Chose a topic you have been working. Ask one child to come to the front and talk about that topic for one minute. The only rule is they must not use a word with a P in it. Not just at the beginning or end but also in the middle so a word such as 'helicopter' would not be acceptable.
    Makes the rest listen carefully because if they hear a word with P in they have to call out 'Peeee.' Remind them the 'ph' sounds like f but ncludes a p.
    It can be a good way to think of alternative words. eg. 'humans' instead of 'people'. 'currency' rather than 'pence.'
    I have also used it as a Literacy task where they are writing about a topic but cannot write a word with 'p' in it.

3. That should read 'includes.' The i got lost somewhere!

4. silver2003

silver2003 New commenter

Not sure of the name but mine love this one.

I child leaves the room changes something about themself eg change shoes over. take off watch. roll up sleeve and then they return the class have to guess what has been changed.

Also- end of the day activity Guided meditation. cant think of a better way to wind down.

5. If you have a Smart Board in your classroom, Interactive 'Count Down' & 'Who Wants to be a Mathionaire' are brilliant games. You can get them from the Woodlands site. My maths set (working towards Level D) play 4 games of Count Down every day and they have become so quick at finding different ways to make the target number.

6. We play Noun Tennis.
    Two children at front of class, one starts by saying a noun, the teacher then confirms the final letter of that word and counting to three, the second child then has to reply with a noun starting with that last letter.
    "Elephant"
    "T. One...two...three... "
    "Tree"
    "E. One...two...three..."
    The same word cannot be used twice within one day. To make it trickier you can also ban plurals, proper nouns etc. Warning: there are a shortage of nouns beginning with E in comparison to the number ending in E!

7. What an excellent idea!! I love it!! Thanks.

8. I agree a great thread. Just wish I felt I had more time to play the games... We play the 9s or 13's game but call it 'onze' and the children count in French! (or English) usually we get some competition between boys and girls as well.
    One game I like as it is mine. [​IMG] I wanted to reinforce factors of a number and multiples so we played my version of Duck, Duck, Goose. Children sit in a circle on the floor and a caller goes around naming them Duck, Duck. Duck... then one is Goose the caller runs around the outside of the circle being chased by the 'Goose' and first person back sits in the circle. The person left is now the caller.
    However my difference is we decide on a number and they only run if the number called to them is a factor of it, it speeds up their recognition of factors e.g. 36 is the number so 5, 7. 3... 3 is a factor of 36 so the race is on... You can also play with multiples of a number, or factor pairs that the pairs run once their factors are both called, or equivalent fractions, percentages etc... hours of learning fun!

9. choddurham

choddurham New commenter

<font size="4">Silent ball. It sounds a bit crazy, however it works extremely well. Get chn to stand up and gently pass a tennis ball around. If they make a sound, drop the ball or have a bad throw they sit down. Gradually increase difficulty by getting them to catch with 1 hand, then other hand, quick throws etc. </font>

10. My favourite instant game is 'Pip Pop': Teacher doesn't explain the rules but just points at a child and says"Pip". the child will be puzzled, so the teacher points to another and say "Pop". More puzzlement probably. Keep going until one child inevitablyrepeats what you say. Shake your head and say no and move to another. Soon one will say "pip" when you say "pop". You show pleasure and excitement and point to another and say "pip pip". They should have grasped the idea and say "pop pop".
    You can now zap around the children and tailor what you say to their abilities so they can all successfully do it... G&T children will enjoy the challenge of saying the opposite to "pip pop pop pop pip" whilst strugglers will enjoy excelling at "pop pop pop pop pop" for example.
    I got this from a good little book for about &pound;3 published by Printforce which I use, containing loads of these ideas that use no or little equipment, it's called 'Panic Ideas' by Dave Wood.. http://www.printforcebooks.com

11. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Dippy duck for Years 1/2 - basically just reinforces odd and even and listening skills, but they seem to love it.
    All stand behind chairs - call out number - if even, all duck down, if odd all remain standing still - the catch is that if the number is even, the last one to duck down is out, however if it is odd, anyone moving at all is out! The opposite also applies, if everyone is crouching down having responded to an even number, the last one to stand when you call an odd number is out, or if you call another even number, anyone trying to stand is out. Hope that makes sense. A sequence might start Odd, Even, odd, even (to get them moving!) O E O E E OOOE and so on.
    As they get better at it you can really speed it up - and your decision as to who is out is final. Last one in gets a sticker - oh and I nearly forgot - children who are out sit back down in their chairs.

12. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

GREAT THREAD! Thanks a lot.
    I'd like to make my own contribution:
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Scissors, Paper, Stone Queue: You need an odd number of children to play this &ndash; three or five should be fine. They hold their hands out at waist level, and count &ldquo;One, two THREE!&rdquo; On three, they thrust their hands up in the air, or down to the ground. Being an odd number, there will be more of one type of movement &ndash; and that wins (for example, if Jack, Amy and Emma play, Jack and Amy put their hands up in the air, and Emma puts her hands down &ndash; so Emma is out, or loses, or loses one point, or however you want to play it.)[/LIST]

13. Something mine love is playing the "laughing game" basically sleeping lions but standing up! 2 or 3 children wander round the room trying to make the rest of them laugh. Once child laughs they sit down. Given a choice its the game they want to play!
    Love the ideas here! will try some out in class!

14. Hi
    Sorry but could you explain Moose a little more as it sounds interesting.
    Thanks
    Sue

15. A great game for keeping them quiet while waiting in a line... works for all KS2
    The Minute Game :
    All have to decide when a minute is up. (Put hands up or sit down works). Some will sit down after 30 sec... some up to 2 min... keep looking at your watch until all have decided. Then tell them who was nearest. Then you can talk about how a seconds can be approxmated by saying "one and, two and...", or "one elephant, two elephant", and of course that there are 60 sec in a minute.
    They will then want to have another go... so you get another minute and a half of silence. Magic!
    SP

16. I play the minister's cat alphabetically: The minister's cat is an aggaravating cat, the minister's cat is a bold cat etc. Great for extending use of adjectives, they try for really good quality ones.

17. Or even aggravating!

18. Hi Sue,
    I have not played 'moose' but a slightly different version of it called 'splat'.
    The children stand in a circle and you point to a child, this child must duck and the children either side of them must point to each other and shout 'splat'. Either the last child to point and shout or any of the three who do the wrong action are out and sit down.
    I imagine you can adapt this to different topics i.e pointing at a child who chooses a number and the children either side have to double this and shout it out. etc etc
    Hope this helps
    Jess

19. Brilliant thread of games. Thank you all. What about:
    1. I like 'apples' but I don't like 'pears'; I like 'ladders' but I don't like 'stairs' - children have to try I like/don't like until they spot the double letter pattern. Have some trying to work it out for months!
    2. Adverbs: I child goes out; with the remainder you choose an adverb and then the child comes in and asks the others to perform tasks 'in the manner of the word' (e.g. 'Open the window...') until he/she guesses the adverb.
    3. Scissors game: pass scissors around the room with them either crossed or uncrossed, saying 'they are crossed' or 'they are uncrossed'. This statement will appear untrue to beginners of the game some of the time, until they work out that the truth of it depends on whether the passer of the scissors has his or her arms or legs crossed, not the position of the scissors.

20. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

A variation on Fizz Buzz... as accidentally invented by my daughter! Once you read it, you'll guess how it orginally arose.
    Same as Fizz Buzz, but multiples of seven are a raspberry sounds. We call it Fizz Buzz F*rt! Seven time table has never been this much fun.
    One
    Two
    Fizz
    Four
    Buzz
    Fizz
    Ffffffffffft!
    Eight
    Fizz
    Buzz
    Eleven
    Fizz