1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of day games

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chubacka, May 19, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    I want to pick your brains about short 5-10 min games that can be played at the end of the day. Last thing is always chaotic when things are being given out, books put away etc.
    Any ideas for games to play to engage the chn (year 5) whilst all this is going on?
    I think heads down thumbs up is a bit too `babyish` for them!
    Thanks in advance.

2. My year 6s still love heads down thumbs up and ask to play it! Another one they enjoy is 20 questions - One child thinks of a person (could be anyone, famous or not, as long as the other children would know them) other children have 20 questions between them to work out who it is. Can only give yes or no answers.
    You could also play a version of Kim's game, or numbers I like, but these need preparing in advance. Kim's game - 20 objects displayed on whiteboard - children given 2 mins to look at them and then try and remember as many as they can in given amount of time.
    Number I like - display a selection of numbers on board (about 30 numbers from 1 -100) you tell children a number from selection that you like and they have to tell you another number you would like. They are trying to guess the reason you like it. For example you could choose 48 - they may guess other multiples of 2,4 6,8,12etc or other even numbers, when your reason might be that it has the second digit that it double the first! Don't tell the children why you chose your number, make them give you another number and a reason why you like it.
    Hope this helps!

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

My class love heads down thumbs up and beg to play it. They also like a variety of drinking games (obv played without the drinking) Fizzbuzz, 21s etc are all favourites. Also like "I went shopping..." Their absolute favourite is"Stop the bus". Write 5 categories on the board, eg an animal, something you eat for breakfast, a place, a girls name and a famous person. Then you pick a random letter. They have to work in teams to find something for each category starting with the given letter. When they have all 5 they shout "stop the bus". All other teams put pens down and you read out their answers. If other teams don't agree they can object but must be able to prove why the other team is wrong.

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

My class love heads or tails.
    I stand at the front and toss and coin, they chose heads by putting their hands on their heads and they chose tails by putting their hands on their bums.
    If it's heads the people that chose heads stay standing, and the people that chose tails sit down, or vice versa. You keep going until there is one person left standing. It's great fun.

5. what a great collection of games, some downright daft but i'm looking forward to trying them all!
    my y5s love heads down thumbs up (and it requires very little input from me!)
    they also love 9s: everyone stands up then you go round the room,one at a time, each child has to say 1,2 or 3 numbers starting from 1 and going up to 9 but the person who says 9 is out and has to sit down. winner is last person standing. so if i went first i could say '1' '1,2' or '1,2,3.' say i said 1,2 the next person could say 3 or 3, 4 or 3, 4, 5, etc (hope clear!)

6. Moose.
    Get your kids in a circle. The moose is formed by the teacher pointing at one child and saying 'moose!' That child raises both hands at the elbow and the children either side raise the hand next to that child.
    To catch people 'out', you can point without speaking. Anyone who raises their hand(s) is then out. When they start getting good, eliminate the last person to raise their hand(s). (Maybe those eliminated then have a small tidy-up task to perform.)
    They simply cannot be too old for moose. We played it at a recent conference and loved it- I was the youngest there!

7. HI. I CAN NEVER REMEMBER HOW HEADS UP WORKS. CAN SOMEONE REFRESH MY MEMORY? THANKS FRAN IN NC

8. HI, CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE I WENT SHOPPING GAME? thanks FRAN

9. I went shopping and i bought a loaf of bread says child one
    I went shopping and i bought a loaf of bread and a cake says child two
    i went shopping and i bought a loaf of bread and a cake and a cat says child three and so it goes till one forgets something
    can make list alphabetical. or alliterative pairs eg astounding alligators, or themed eg must be food

Heads down thumbs up says teacher all kids except chosen few at front put heads down close eyes and put one thumb up in air. chosen ones sneak around and press a thumb each. Advice is not to choose friend and to be gentle so cant tell who you are dont press anyone peeping

Chosen ones return to front, heads up. Stand up if your thumb was pressed. Each pressed thumb child has to guess who pressed tehm- best if they dont respond to all have guessed then those who were right swop places with person who pressed them and off they go

10. SparkyTeaching

SparkyTeaching New commenter

My class used to love the 'Mind Reading' game...
    Quick explanation: One of them (pupil X) goes outside the room and you quickly establish a secret 'rule' with them (e.g. the chosen item will be the one after you point to something red). You then make a big thing to the rest of the class about how Pupil X has this amazing talent - reading minds... Get the class to choose a mystery object. Get Pupil X back into the room. Make a big thing of sending the information by mind-power... Then point to a series of objects in the room. "Is it this pencil?" "No" "Is it the red bag?" "No" "Is it the whiteboard?" "Yes!" After your class have stopped being amazed, they'll realise there's a 'rule' to find out. Play again and their job is to watch carefully. The person who spots the whole "one-after-the-red-object" thing gets to go next. Other rules are things like: scratch your nose or cough when you point to the mystery object.
    Also, in a shameless plug for our website ([​IMG]), you could try our daily 365 things to make you go 'Hmmm...' which is the perfect way to spend 5-10 spare minutes. Your class can send in their answers to the 'Big Question' of the day (www.sparkyteaching.com/resources/thinkingskills/hmmm.html )

11. I am not a lover of heads down thumbs up, too much cheating goes on!!
    This is my version of Guess Who, the game where you have rows of faces, ask questions and eliminate down to one. I have used it from Year 2 upwards to Year 6 and they all enjoy it. Everyone in the class stands up. Children put their hands up to ask a question to which you can only answer yes or no. Depending on the answer some children will have to sit down i.e is it a boy?...yes...all girls sit down etc etc. I love it when the first question is 'is it a boy or a girl' to which I answer yes and they look confused.They can still ask a question if they are sat down. Slowly but surely you get down to just 2 or 3 children. As they are probably in school uniform it can then be hard to find differences, so their observation skills are important. At no time is anyone allowed to ask a question relating to individual names so 'is it Sally?' is not acceptable. What the children don't realise is that you don't actually decide on the 'chosen one' until right at the end. As they ask a question, you scan the room and decide on the best answer to leave most children standing! So if the question is 'do they have brown hair?' if you have more brown haired people standing than not, you answer 'yes' or vice versa. This also helps you to manipulate the time each game takes. Of course your decision is final. One big advantage of this for me as a supply teacher is that I do not need to know everyone's name in the class! It is the children's responsibility to get the choice down to 1. Just remember when they ask 'do they have blue eyes?' to walk round everyone left standing and make the point to them that you wouldn't be daft enough just to look into the eyes of the person you are thinking of, which convinces them you have one person in mind!!
    Enjoy.
    If anyone has other ideas for supply teachers who don't know the class let me know.

12. Hi Everyone, I'm just browsing and came across your fab games and ideas. I will def adapt and use them with the younger children I work with -they're ideal for wet playtimes too :) Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the ideas.

13. I play 'Around the World' with mine. One child stands up behind another seated, I ask a question, first one to answer wins, if the seated child wins, he/she stands and moves to the next person, loser sits in child's seat if the one standing wins they just move on to the next child. I ask another question etc... aim of the game is to get around the class, its fab because you can use it for any subject, even as assessment! I've used it in maths, check times table knowledge etc, history Egypt topic, check what facts they've learnt, geography even literacy, for example check they know the features of a particular text type. Children love it and ask to play it alot! Their favourite bit is trying to get out the 'clever' child, the one who seems to stay standing for the whole game!

14. My children like '13', and it was invaluable recently to help some new children in my class who spoke no English. They could count to 13 within the day!
    All children stand, preferably in a circle, but either way with a predetermined route around the children. The basic idea is that the children simply count, in order around the circle, and the one who says 13 is out. The tactics come in because each child has to decide whether they are going to count on one number, two or a maximum of three. The children (Y6) are much better at it than me, and you can see them working out their strategies as they are going. So a route round the circle might go... 1,2,3 - 4 - 5,6 - 7,8,9 - 10,11,12 - 13! (out). Out child sits down, next child starts again at 1.

15. I play 'The Monarch Game'. One child is chosen to be the monarch and sit on the throne (my chair!). Individuals are then invited to ask them a question. If the monarch can answer correctly, they remain on the throne, if they cannot answer, they are deposed and the questioner becomes the monarch. However, the questioner must know the answer to their own question and I reserve the right to decide whether a question is fair. Sometimes I restrict the theme of the questions (numeracy, geography or whatever). Sometimes I count the number of correct questions answered by a monarch, award a housepoint if they reach my limit, then change the monarch to give someone else a chance to reign. When I play it with younger children I sometimes have a crown handy.

16. "Master, Master"
    Blindfold one child who sits at front. Point to another child who approaches and chants , "Master, Master who am I?" If they guess correctly, they remain as Master. If they guess wrongly, the child who tricked them takes over.
    Year 6 love to disguise their voices and they are quiet because they don't want to give a clue as to which direction they are approaching from.

17. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

My Y7s lovel 'Heads Down Thumbs Up'
    Personally, I can't abide it, and can't see any enjoyment to be gained from it, but it seems to entertain them.

18. I play 'Silent Ball'. It will sound a bit rubbish but the children love it and it is very calming! Screw up a piece of scrap paper for a ball. Children stand around the room. The ball is thrown from one to another.
    Rules: You are out if you.... do over arm throwing (under arm only); throw to back to the same person; drop the ball after a good throw; do a rubbish throw (teacher decides); laugh out loud or make any sound at all; hesitate for more than 3 seconds; throw to a person who is not looking - a nod is required by both as confirmation that they will be throwing to them. The last 2 in have to do one handed throwing and catching under one make a mistake. If person is out they have to sit down silently. Sounds a lot of rules but they tend to pick it up very quickly.
    I have played it with Y5 and Y6 children so far. They love it!

19. One I was taught as a trainee teacher was 'Apple Pie'. One child is selected as the guesser and goes out the room while another child is selected to say 'Apple Pie' in a different voice. The guesser comes back into the room and sits at the front, shutting their eyes.
    All the children sit quietly and then the selected child say 'Apple Pie' in their chosen voice - may be high-pitched, low, silly, quiet etc.
    The guesser has 3 guesses to get the right person. If they are correct, they have another go. If they are wrong, the one who said 'Apple Pie' becomes the guesser and goes out the room.
    Children love this and it's a great way to focus their listening skills as well as their dramatic voices.
    Like the idea of silent ball - will try that