1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TheoGriff, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For those of you starting to prepare for an application for a post back in the UK for September, a few tips.
    The JobSeekers Forum here on the TES Connect has advice on how to write an application that should get you interviews, and hopefully a job. Open the thread pinned to the top of the Forum, and then the two clickables: How to Get Shortlisted and How Not to Get Shortlisted.
    Don't waste your time producing a CV; schools are advised not to ask for those nowadays, although you'll still get the odd independent school that hasn't yet caught up with the advice.
    Sign up for the TES Job Alerts, so that you get details imediately of any suitable posts.
    The Return to teaching magazine on the TDA website has a lot of info on new initiatives/issues facing UK schools. Look at Spring 2009/Summer 2009 issues:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/teachers/returners/rtt_service/back_numbers.aspx
    You will almost certainly need some sort of police certificate from your current country, if you have been out of the UK for over a year. Start asking now how to get that - but don't actually get it yet as it could be rejected as being out of date by a very fussy Local Authority.
    The Golden Oldie of advice on returning to teaching in the UK is this thread: It is so old that the links inside it don't work any more, but the basic advice reamins very sound.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/1188.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Best wishes to you all - hope to see you on JobSeekers soon.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'd just like to add one thing to this: unless you are applying for a Headship, very few schools in the UK are likely to be able to afford to pay for you to fly back for an interview.
    But schools are advised to have a face-to-face interview with you in order to appoint you.
    This puts you in a tricky position, since your application is, in many cases, likely to be rejected at an early stage as you are not available for interview in the UK, and they can't afford to bring you here. Even if you are an outstanding candidate!
    If you are in Europe, you can get EasyJet flights pretty cheaply, so if you felt like it, you could include a brief sentence in your application along the lines of: If selected for interview, I would be willing to fund a flight to the UK. If you are farther afield, it's a bigger commitment for you.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump this up to the top so that you can start thinking about it over the hikidays.
    Happy holidays to you all!

4. "Don't waste your time producing a CV; schools are advised not to ask for those nowadays, although you'll still get the odd independent school that hasn't yet caught up with the advice."

That'll be my place then. Sigh!!

I work there and I still have to give in a CV for the Head of English job going. In two minds about applying but might as well.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

The problem with that is that it may put off a school which may be interested in you but doesn't want the responsibility of encouraging you to spend money travelling to UK when it's not sure of appointing you. And human nature being what it is, you may even start to think of the appointment as a done deal if the school calls you to interview. I would suggest something along the lines of:
    If my application is of interest, it may be of interest to you that I am planning a visit to the UK in the near future and, given adequate notice, would be able to schedule this to coincide with the interview date.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent wording, Mainwaring!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Jobs are beginning to be advertised for September.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Some schools are also a bit slow to realise that if you are not in Britain, inviting you for an interview on a Friday for the following Tuesday is too short notice. Impossible to organise a flight or rail travel at a reasonable cost.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Up to the top

12. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

"Down to the bottom" might be more likely, if you are returning to the UK from teaching in an international school.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hm, yes . . .

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For any more hopeful returners.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump for the final crop of applications . . .

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And bump

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The job situation in UK is bad, very bad, for teachers.
    • In both September and October 2010 there were 15% fewer teaching jobs advertised than last year. November looks worse so far.
    • 51% of the summer 2010 PGCE students are still without permanent jobs.
    • 32% of the summer 2009 PGCE students are still without permanent jobs.
    • The summer 2011 PGCE students will be starting job hunting after Christmas.
    • There is talk of teacher redundancies coming up; This is the effect of falling rolls, the Pupil Premium, the end of specific grants and schools waiting for the outcome of the spending review
    Being unavailable abroad is a huge problem, you may well, you will<u> almost certainly</u>, have to try and get supply work in September. But that has dried up too.
    Sorry to be so negative, but that is the situation at present.

19. Cheers for this thread, I shall bookmark it and watch the situation over the next 12 months, really want to move back 'home' for the start of 2012. Not too worried about how I have to go about getting a position, I have other skills I could fall back on too. Have to convince my Kiwi wife though...

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter