1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of an era. Coming over all heartfelt.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clear_air, Jul 19, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Today is my son's final day at primary school. (Well, until 2:30 anyway.) And not only primary, but last day in mainstream education. I'm not sure how I feel about this...on the one hand I am excited for him; his new school is lovely, and I am sure he will learn so much there. But on the other I am really sad that he is leaving his lsw behind; she has been a true support and friend to him.
    My mixed feelings also extend to his experience in mainstream; I am proud of him that not only has he made it to the end of Y6, but also in his chronological year group, and yet...and yet the journey has not been without its difficulties. Will he be able to escape the crushing burden of his label for the short while he is in the special school? Will my voice, as an intelligent, educated, professional, and yes, pushy (in that I want the best for my son, and I want to be involved) parent be heard? Or will I be dismissed as fussy and the door firmly closed? Will the teachers at the special school have a better understanding of the 'special needs parent'?
    Goodness, I do sound a bit self absorbed! I'm not really. I'm mostly bothered that he understands that this is goodbye to his school, most of his classmates, and his lovely lsw, and he doesn't really get it.
    Oh, and that I have to sit through another bleddy awful assembly!

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Today is my son's final day at primary school. (Well, until 2:30 anyway.) And not only primary, but last day in mainstream education. I'm not sure how I feel about this...on the one hand I am excited for him; his new school is lovely, and I am sure he will learn so much there. But on the other I am really sad that he is leaving his lsw behind; she has been a true support and friend to him.
    My mixed feelings also extend to his experience in mainstream; I am proud of him that not only has he made it to the end of Y6, but also in his chronological year group, and yet...and yet the journey has not been without its difficulties. Will he be able to escape the crushing burden of his label for the short while he is in the special school? Will my voice, as an intelligent, educated, professional, and yes, pushy (in that I want the best for my son, and I want to be involved) parent be heard? Or will I be dismissed as fussy and the door firmly closed? Will the teachers at the special school have a better understanding of the 'special needs parent'?
    Goodness, I do sound a bit self absorbed! I'm not really. I'm mostly bothered that he understands that this is goodbye to his school, most of his classmates, and his lovely lsw, and he doesn't really get it.
    Oh, and that I have to sit through another bleddy awful assembly!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

If it's any comfort, having worked in Special Schools, the relationship with parents has always been really positive. I hope you find the same.
    Hope the day goes well for all of you. Chin up ... and in the immortal words of that wonderful leavers hymn 'One more step ...' [​IMG]
    (Sorry - and much sympathy on the assembly!)

4. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

My college has many students coming from special schools and on the whole, most were supported brilliantly. I don't think it has to be a stigma as often it is not apparent from the name whether it is a special school or not and there are so many schools around us it is hard fro me to even keep track.
    The main thing is that he gets the support he needs.
    Sounds like he has coped well so far but I am sure you are doing the right thing.
    You may see yourself as a pushy parent but I see nothing wrong in making sure a school understands what the needs of your child are and does their best to support these as much as possible.
    Good luck to your son. Year 7 flies by - my daughter has just got to the end and it has been a big learning curve for her and not one that she has always found easy.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

chortle! It wouldn't be the same without that one, would it?!
    We've carried in the world's. It gets bunch of flowers for lovely lsw - hope the ct doesn't feel left out! (might have to get her a smaller bunch for later! Guilt, guilt!)