1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of 16 month rule?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fundisi, Dec 9, 2011.

1. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I'm coming to the end of my 16 months of supply work without finding an FT position to do my NQT years.

I've searched the archives, the TDA website and the general web but can't find a definitive answer...has the 16 month been scrapped or not?

2. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I'm coming to the end of my 16 months of supply work without finding an FT position to do my NQT years.

I've searched the archives, the TDA website and the general web but can't find a definitive answer...has the 16 month been scrapped or not?

3. I was told about the 16 month rule in about October, so I presume it still stands. I think the best place to ask would probably be your supply agency, as they should know the rules about all that.

4. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I'm glad you have faith...going by past experience I think they'd probably be the last to know!

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

It's being reviewed but hasn't been scrapped yet. You can apply for an extension - and I THINK that if you can prove you have been doing your best to get a FT job (ie you've been applying for them!) your LEA is unlikely to refuse you.

6. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Thanks - that's good - however I am working in West Sussex and Surrey although I qualified in East Sussex - is it your opinion that I'll have to get permission from every LEA I work in or just my "home" LEA?

7. modgepodge

I don't know I'm afraid :(

8. You need to get authorisation from every LEA you work in as supply. I did hear the 16 month rule is to be scrapped in April, but not seen anything else about it recently

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Even if it is scrapped in 2012, we don't yet know if the new regulations will apply only to those who qualify in 2012 and afterwards or will be backdated.
    There is currently an extension of up to 12 months, available on application to each LA where you might feasibly take non-Induction supply teaching. The extension granted runs from the end of your 16 month allowance.
    When all allowances are used up, you can only accept teaching work in the State 5-16 sectors if it is intended to last for at least a term's length (from any point in on a school term until at least the same point in the next ... based on a 3 term school year). The post can be p/t or f/t. It can be a contract or adaily paid agency work.

10. modgepodge

God forbid a teacher taught for more than 4 terms without completing induction! Their training isn't finished, it's not fair on the kids.
    Far better to use a nice unqualified TA or CS instead - they don't need an induction so it must be ok, they can do it indefinitely.
    /end sarcasm.
    What goes on in the minds of people who write these policies?

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You don't have to have completed Induction when the 16 months has expired.
    There is n o time limit on Starting or completeing Induction. there's only a limit on how long the State compulsory sector can employ you if you haven't completed Induction.
    Currently, if you use up your allowance |+ any extension, you might have to teach in Post 16 or the Private sector (or do another job) until you secure an Induction post, whether that be soon aftrewards or several years or more later.
    I had to have a 5 term period out of teaching until I secured the elusive final Induction term. I worked on the Xmas post, did car boots and claimed JSA for a time.
    I agree with you about the TA/CS issue. When I couldn't be employed to teach, despite having QTS, unqualified teachers/instructors could be used indefinitely in classrooms (if they couldn't get a qualified teacher). That was in 2001.
    I wrote to my MP and to the Dept of Education. The Dept threatened me with legal consequences if I omitted my QTS qualification on application forms in order to get unqualified teaching work (that paid only slightly less at the time). My MP was incensed (didn't actually believe me until he too spoke to the Dept of Education!) and then told me that the Supply Rule was going to be looked at. A few years later, by which time I'd managed to finish Induction, the extension to the supply rule came in .

12. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

From the Draft I saw the possible sting in the tail for the change in regulation is the imposition of a flat 5 years to complete induction for every NQT . This would include anyone who has partially completed induction. No information about what happens once the 5 year limit is reached.

13. I am so confused about these rules. I have been working as supply but still NQT from january 2010, and took a permanent terms work in september. I have completed 1 term of my NQT year. Unfortunately i have to leave as a result of family problems, does that mean i can still do day to day supply?? Or not??! So confused, please help.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you did non-Induction supply teaching in the State 5-16 sector efore starting your first Induction ter, you need to count on exactly 16 months from the first day of QUALIFIED teaching (teaching after you formally received QTS, with the accompanying certificate).
    During that 16 month supply 'window' some manage to get 3 Induction terms completed; others manage one or two and some do not get any Induction 'banked'.
    Your 16 month allowance could have expired as early as May 2011 if you took your first qualified teaching day in Jan 2010.
    If you don't get another Induction post as your next work you will need an extension from the LAs where you wish to work on non-Induction supply teaching. I don't know if they will time any extension awarded (maximum is 12 months) from the date of issue or from the expiry date of your 16 month allowance, backdating your extension to cover nion-Induction supply thta you did (possibly illegally) in the run-up to your Induction term in September 2011.
    The proposed new regulations expected in 2012 might increase the period you have to take nion-Induction supply work; it all depends on whetherr the new rules will apply to everyone or just to those who qualify from next year onwards.

15. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Spot on the nail from Jubilee as usual! Do not be tempted to ignore the 16 month limitation as there are very serious consequences. You would be working uninsured as the insurance companies would not pay out for any claim made while tyou are working 'illegally'. This applies to both you , the employer and the agencies. Agencies and schools have a specific duty to check supply limits- this is in the statutory regulations 2.21 & 2.22.

The scope of the new regulations have yet to be determined and it will anyway take time to get through Parliament and onto the statute books

16. In response to the OP, I personally did work on supply contracts for over the 16 months as I got granted extensions from the Local Authorities where I was working. It is frustrating and demanding working on supply but also invaluable as it makes you stronger and in the long run sometimes makes you stand out from the crowd with cross curricular experience.
    I only secured a job last summer, a one year contract and although it is tough it is great to be somewhere to complete my NQT year at last (almost 2 academic years after the GTP!)

Keep your chin up and keep smiling, there will be something out there and above all try not to get too down about it all. [​IMG]

17. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

According to the consultation docuement, it will extend the period to 5 years working on supply before they are required to have completed the induction.
    The ATL have suggested to the Dept of Education that for people whose time as expired or is due to expire that the government includes them backdating this proposal back for a period of 5 years, i.e those who have qualified since 2006 or 2007. They have also suggested that there should be different ways to complete the induction within schools. These proposals may or may not be accepted, but they would expand the range of options in completing an induction if accepted. This would be a sensible solution due to the number of NQT's, who are unemployed and with no opportunity to complete their induction. However this dependent upon the Dept of Education accepting the the proposals from the union, the Dept of Education is looking to expand the options to a limited degree anyway.
    What is worrying for NQT's and experieced supply teachers, is the government is looking to let teachers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA come and teach in the UK, with full QTS and without any requirement to do an induction. This will come into force in Sept 2012, if accepted. Also there is also a proposal that any one with QTLS (an Pgce FE qualification), being given equal status with those with QTS and be allowed to work in schools as such.

18. sorry, i meant Jan 2011 - error due to confusion!

19. Please could you tell me who you contact in the LEA (which department)? As I wanted to apply for the extension and didnt really get anywhere.

I have started Supply teaching and do not want to be caught out.

20. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You are replying to an out of date thread.

No 16 month rule any more - and no extensions either (which is why you didn't get anywhere!)

The rule now is that you have 5 years from award of QTS where you can work non-induction supply in the state age 5-16 sector.

After that you have to be in a post which qualifies for Induction.

OR, you can work in an Academy, free school or Independent school. None of those are bound by Induction rules and don't even have to employ qualified teachers at all.