1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Yr 6 To Take Some Responsibility!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tin rose, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a new teacher and have recently taken over a rather unmotivated Year 6 class. Their behaviour is mainly ok, though there are the usual tricky ones who can disrupt the class, but the others are just kind of drifting along.
    Thought I'd have a go at dishing out some badges for PE monitors, book monitors etc. which I actually think they MAY respond to (as the are quite sweet really) to try to get some cohesion and sense of responsibility in class - especially in PE which is a nightmare!!! - but am not sure how to go about this:
    should I pick names from a hat (what if they are paired with their deadly enemy in class?! Seriously, there are some issues here)
    or choose them myself (rather dictatorial)
    or ask for volunteers in pairs (...help!)
    Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I am a new teacher and have recently taken over a rather unmotivated Year 6 class. Their behaviour is mainly ok, though there are the usual tricky ones who can disrupt the class, but the others are just kind of drifting along.
    Thought I'd have a go at dishing out some badges for PE monitors, book monitors etc. which I actually think they MAY respond to (as the are quite sweet really) to try to get some cohesion and sense of responsibility in class - especially in PE which is a nightmare!!! - but am not sure how to go about this:
    should I pick names from a hat (what if they are paired with their deadly enemy in class?! Seriously, there are some issues here)
    or choose them myself (rather dictatorial)
    or ask for volunteers in pairs (...help!)
    Any advice would be great. Thanks.

3. There are a number of ways. First introduce your ideas of monitors to the class. Then you could do some PSHE stuff on the responsibility of such as role and what sort of person would be ideal eg characters of a good monitor etc. Maybe then, you could ask the children to prepare a speech/presentation as to why they would be good at this role if they are interested. Following this the children could present to the class and the remaining children could vote by doing something like we do when we vote ie list of names, a tick, a ballot box etc. Don't do hands up for xxxxxxxxxx !.
    Another way would be names in a hat, taken out on a Friday and the children do that role for the following week. Any names already drawn out don't get put back in until everyone has had a turn at being a monitor. Children may think this is more fair. As teachers we sometimes chose the same children all of the time as they deemed the most sensible. I'm sure these children somtimes get cheesed off with all the extra pressure and by everyone having a turn it makes everyone responsible for the well being/running of the class. It might make the troublesome kids take notice when they see how when others haven't pulled their weight , it can have an effect on others.
    Good luck !

4. Hi

I have year 6 too and know how un-motivated they can be! How about getting the children to vote and maybe turn it in to a bit of an event? Ask anyone who wants the responsibility of one of the jobs to give a small speech about why they would be good with responsibility then 'open the polls', you can also use this as a carrot - if you are not behaving in classroom/playground/PE you are showing you can't be responsible. Hope this all makes sense!

5. Hi,
    I made my Year 6s apply for jobs (PE monitor, ICT monitors, etc) - I put up an advert and they had to fill in an application form before the closing date and had to say why they thought they should have the job. It made them realise it was a responsibility and those that couldn't be bothered didn't get a job! (I think some of those children regret that now!).
    The children enjoyed filling in the form and waiting to see if they had a job (all of them that filled in a form did get a job at least for a term) and which job it would be. They are also aware that if they are not responsible and if they do mess around when being trusted to do a job then they will be "sacked!"
    Hope this helps.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I have usually found that some children will want to be involved in everything and some in nothing and some will do the bits they think will benefit them.
    If you are looking for ways to motivate all children I would agree that involving them in the process would be useful. Is there any way you could extend these responsibilites outside the classroom? I have worked in schools where Y6 children, who earn their 'responsibilty' badge, can help with all sorts of things like manning the office at lunchtimes, supporting the younger children to eat their lunches, sitting on benches/chairs in assembly, setting up and clearing away assembly, staying in at break times etc etc ... lots to negociate with you and/or head.
    I would expect all children in the class to take some responsibility for jobs around the classroom, sometimes they need more than that to reflect their seniority in the school. Some people like to let children earn the right and some give it and then take it back if necessary ... works both ways.

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I do this with my year 6s too. They have to write a statement persuading me to give them their chosen job.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine apply for their jobs as well. School wide and class wide ones. They have to reapply each term for most of them.

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Forgot to add...mine are also very quick to complain if someone else isn't doing their job properly! Jobs like doing the music and putting out the benches and chairs for assembly are very popular and a very good method of bribery. I have a boy in my class who has the potential to be absolutely vile and at one point was being sent home early on an almost weekly basis. I followed my class up from year 5 and saw a lot of improvement in his behaviour when giving just a small job to do, something simple. So last term I trusted him with the job of going to the hall and helping to set up. It's a job he really likes and something he can do without fear of "getting it wrong" or "looking stupid". I'm not saying it's the only factor that's helped improve his behaviour but I think it's done him, and the others, a lot of good.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ha! Usually within a couple of minute sof them not doing it!

We also have quite a few monitor jobs. Many children come in early to do recycling/fruit etc. There is never a shortage of volunteers for a new job. Tesco voucher counters are strangely popular.

11. Thanks so much for your responses - really helpful.
    Am now going to type up some sticker badges etc. and hope they go for it. I love the idea of them applying for the jobs :)

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't spend ages doing that. We did it in Sept to start, but they lost the badges in no time and so we didn't bother for the subsequent terms.

13. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I type up a list, enlarge it to A3 and stick it on the wall in the classroom.

14. I teach Mixed Rec, Y1 and Y2 so giving out jobs is a little different to your Y6 class. As I only have 16 in my class I have enough jobs for them all to have a job each week. I start at the top of the register and ask each child which job they would like for the week. The following week I start with the second child in the register. This way each child gets a first choice - choosing the job they really want, and a last choice - having to do a job that is one of the least popular. As I always have 2 children to do each job, the pairings can be quite interesting too! It is good to see children working together who wouldn't normally pair up.By going down the register like this they know who has first choice next week, and understand that they are eventually going to have a go at 'last choice'! Plus it only takes 5 mins to do now as they all know the order in which I read out the jobs, so many have already made a first choice, and sometimes a second choice, in their head by the time I call their name.
    I like the idea of asking your children to apply for their jobs, which clearly wouldn't work in my class, but would worry about how much time it's going to take. Hope this helps you and others too!

15. I used to change the monitors each termso that everybody had the opportunity to do more than one job. Done in Word then printed and displayed on class notice board as badges get lost.
    Children could choose 3 roles they wanted, in order of preference and that's how they were allocated. A good PSHE activity to do at the start of the academic year as well.