1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Encouraging spontaneous target language in students (French)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Nelly333, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Nelly333

Nelly333 New commenter

Hi :)
    I would like to work on something this summer in prep for September, which encourages spontaneous target language use (French) in students. I work in a 'tough' secondary and the kids generally struggle with writing. I think their confidence and motivation would increase if they could have some easy gains in speaking. Any ideas?? I would like to trial with a class so that I can compare attainment with another group I am not going to do thi with. Many thanks x

2. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Prepare opinion sheets for GCSE and A-Level students such as this:
    GCSE
    Je pense que = I think that...
    Selon moi... = According to me...

A-Level
    Certains diraient que... = Some would say that...
    On pourrait soutenir que... = We could argue that...

Make sure that these are laminated and use different colours to illustrate the difficulty of these too.
    The point would be to 'force' students to use these before they give an answer in class. You could introduce them first, then remind students to use them when participating, or, when being asked a question.
    If you start this in Year 7 or 8, by the time they get to Year 10 some may be able to even make a point in French. If you revise adjective agreement for instance, Student A could argue why intéressant does not take an e because the noun which is attached to is masculine: "Je pense que c'est faux parce que c'est masculin".
    These sentences should be used in their writing too, especially for the 90 words paragraph or the 150. These require more developed sentences and a variety of opinion, so it would help.

Nelly333 likes this.
  3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter