1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

encouraging girls in primary PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Bevi1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Bevi1

Bevi1 New commenter

I am looking at different ways of enhancing girls' experiences and involvement in PE and would love to talk to any schools that have used their primary premium to do so.

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Girls need to see female teachers actively and enthusiastically teaching sport themselves. Most female teachers hate sport and avoid teaching it. If your school does not have female staff who are happy being active then you will have to use pupil premium to buy in female coaches who are enthusiastic about being happy. It really is that simple.

Bevi1 likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Involve parents-look at how many parents 'princess' daughters these days. Many actively encourage a boy to do football, but not a girl.
    Of course many families don't and are supportive, but doing some family learning sessions based on activity can help them to challenge the 'boys run around but girls sit quietly' mentality.

Bevi1 likes this.
  4. Bevi1

Bevi1 New commenter

I absolutely agree. Girls can't aspire to things they don't see. I am really interested in talking to schools who have actively gone out and hired female sports teachers or coaches as a way of encouraging girls to take part in physical activities and sport

5. Bevi1

Bevi1 New commenter

It would be great to hear from schools who have done this!