1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Encouraging friendships between boys and girls

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FrabjousDay, Nov 1, 2018.

1. FrabjousDay

FrabjousDay Occasional commenter

I am dealing with an especially difficult group of girls in my year 4 class. They are having numerous friendship issues and I am having to talk to either the girls or parents almost daily.

I'm going to try and encourage friendships between the boys and girls, as it's very gender segregated at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything like this? Or if anyone has any tips / exercises that we could do as a class?

Thanks!

bestboy123 likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This is a very difficult one. I think that sometimes all we can hope for is that boys and girls will treat each other some kindness and consideration.

3. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

I do friendship speed dating. Only tried it in KS1, but it might get yours going. Have yet to figure out a school-friendly name for it though!

I line the chairs up in two rows facing each other. The kids all sit in a chair. I pick a topic (either ones I've chosen, or topics that the kids have chosen) and they talk about that topic for 1 minute. I ring a bell and one line of kids moves along a seat, while the other line stays still. Pick another topic and go again! Topics are usually generic things like favourite tv show and why, what pets do you have and what are they like, describe your hobby, etc.

I also like to get the kids drawing their favourite things, their house, their family, etc. and then do a "walk and talk". The children take a stroll around the classroom and, when I ring a bell, they grab the nearest person and they talk about their pictures. After they've talked for a couple of minutes, they walk until I ring the bell again, then find another person to talk to. I'll make sure I keep the friends away from each other, so they're talking to lots of people they normally wouldn't.

Playtime challenges are good as well- before break time challenge them to ask someone they don't usually talk to a question. Sometimes I give them lists of questions. I'll pick kids to feed back after break time and we'll have a chat about how exciting it is to talk to someone new and learn things that we didn't know before.

I think sometimes they get stuck in friendship groups and can't see a way out so I mix them up and get them talking as much as possible. It can take a while, and a few different mixing up activities, but they generally get there.

Kartoshka, FrabjousDay and digoryvenn like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Great ideas Eliza.
    Your first idea sounds similar to an activity I have used before called 'conscience alley'. The children really enjoy it.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some good ideas from ElizaMorrell.

6. FrabjousDay

FrabjousDay Occasional commenter

ElizaMorrell - those ideas are brilliant!

I'm going to start those next week. Thank you so much!