1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Encouraging children to read word on sight rather than segmenting

Discussion in 'English' started by jocraigie, Sep 16, 2020.

1. jocraigie

jocraigie New commenter

Hi, I am a private tutor and currently have a Y1 child who is really struggling to just read a word without segmenting it first. I have tried a number of strategies - 'say it quick', making it a game, working with onset and rimes with rime underlined and she still sounds out each of the 3 phonemes (still working with ph2 phonemes). Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Probably a better response on the primary forum. Most (all?) teachers here are secondary.

3. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Flash card games with high frequency and sight words... flash the card to guess the word, in decreasing time; snap card game etc. Try this website for more ideas: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers...tips-teaching-high-frequency-and-sight-words/
    There are lots of ideas online if you use the search term ‘high frequency and sight words’ but I am not a primary teacher so my experience is with older reluctant readers.