1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

en primeur

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 16, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

OH has done this in the past. I will ask him and get back to you.

2. Great thankyou

3. BelleDuJour

Ok. First of all wait for an exceptional year. Then buy the very best you can afford. Also the fewer the cases produced by a good house, these will be a better investment due to the scarcity value. Beware of houses ripping you off by thinking they can charge what they like, so it is best to do your research first over the past few years.
    As regards selling on, again do your research and follow the market prices. It is likely to take upwards of 10-15 years before these wines are at their best, so it is a longer term investment. Also, bear in mind the margins are huge between buyer and seller, so this is no quick fix.
    OH says he wouldn't bother again. He still buys some wines that are 'investment' but instead of selling them we now drink them!
    Enjoy!

4. BelleDuJour

Having said that OH has just bought some more 'en primeur'. He uses a company called Hicks & Don to buy but he sells through various places, usually at auction (Sotheby's and Christies but bear in mind commission). Having said that, he's just checked the prices of some of our wines and we've some selling at £800 for 6. We've held these for 10 years and didn't pay nearly that for them, but have drunk and enjoyed them rather than selling.
    OH's advice is buy wines to enjoy. If you have any left and can make a profit then that's an added bonus. You need a strong will to not drink your investment!

5. Not worth it unless you have a wine cellar at your disposal.

6. Why not CQ? Can pay cellarage fees!

7. I think it is only worth it if you have the space to store enough, for long enough, at the right temperature - and you have to sell at the right time (and buy at the right time).
    I find 800 quid return (it wasn't even a return) for 6 bottles not worth the hassle (I do not handle myself, I have a friend who does).
    I have sold 4 bottles for 200 € (paid 30 €) but I honestly could not be bothered with the hassle again.

8. BelleDuJour

Ah....but we have rather more than 6 bottles. Drunk some. May sell the rest. OH makes s lot of money through investments (art, wine, antiques, stock market) so it's not really a hassle for him. I wouldn't have a clue!

9. BelleDuJour

Oh..........and buying/selling wines is tax free (no capital gains or inheritance tax)