1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Empty Sac at 12 week scan!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by MrsAbs, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Just been for 12 week scan this morning and found out that sac ws empty! She said it only looked size of what they would expect at 6weeks. I was not surprised as on monday i had some light bleeding and it has continued for 2 days, so i had half expected it to be honest! Hubby and I are both gutted and midwife has booked me in for a scan at maternity unit in one hour! I am so worried and dont know what to expect!! Has this happened to anyone else? How do they get rid of empty sac? Been lookiing on internet and lots of people talking about D & C operations!! Dont think im ready for anything like that, im a woose at the best of times never mind when im an emotional wreck! My mum thinks they might just give me a pill or wait to see if it goes by itself! Any ideas and quick responses will be really appreciated!!
    Mrs Abs x
    :-(

2. Just been for 12 week scan this morning and found out that sac ws empty! She said it only looked size of what they would expect at 6weeks. I was not surprised as on monday i had some light bleeding and it has continued for 2 days, so i had half expected it to be honest! Hubby and I are both gutted and midwife has booked me in for a scan at maternity unit in one hour! I am so worried and dont know what to expect!! Has this happened to anyone else? How do they get rid of empty sac? Been lookiing on internet and lots of people talking about D & C operations!! Dont think im ready for anything like that, im a woose at the best of times never mind when im an emotional wreck! My mum thinks they might just give me a pill or wait to see if it goes by itself! Any ideas and quick responses will be really appreciated!!
    Mrs Abs x
    :-(

3. so sorry to hear your news, I can't imagine how you feel. I have two friends who had similar situations - one had no bleeding and the the scan was the first she realised something was wrong, she needed some kind of proceedure. The other had natural bleeding and after some investigation was able to let nature take its course. It may or may not help to know they both went on to have smooth and health pregnancies within the next year. I hope the staff treat you well and you have lots of people around you for support.

4. Hi Mrs Abs, am so sorry to hear your news. I found out at my 12 week scan that I'd been carrying triplets but that the sacs were now empty. I'd begun to feel very ill on the day of the scan and this then continued and two days later I miscarried. One of the sacs reabsorbed and I do take great comfort that the babies and the sac are somehow integral to me now.
    They can do a D&C or they can give you tablets I believe.
    It's a painful and lonely time, so please take good care of yourself.
    Para xxx

5. Thanks for your wishes and replies!
    At hospital they didnt do 2nd scan but looked at 1st scan picture from this morning and said there is a "yolk" in sac and so have to go back on tuesday for 2nd scan to see if sizes have changed of yolk and sac, but going by dates and bleeding looks like the baby has gone!
    I then have 2 options-
    1-take tablet then 2 days later go back for other medication and stay in hospital for 6hrs to see if miscarriage happens then have to wait 2weeks for scan to make sure sac has gone.
    2-operation, go into theatre and have sac removed, will be day surgery and home that day.
    Hard choices! I kind of hope that sac comes away by itself before tue then I wont have to make a choice of what to do! Option 1 is long winded and could be painful going through miscarriage and Option 2 scares me as I hate thought of needles and op, but would be over in a day rather than 2 and a half weeks!!!
    Sorry, rant over, just feel at a loss and want to start trying again!!!
    Hubby being great support and mum left work straight away to be with me!!!
    Thanx, Mrs Abs xx

6. Sorry to hear things are so difficult and that there are more challenging decisions to come. Feel for you and hope things work out ok whatever way things go. It's great that your OH and mum are brilliant, that must make a huge difference!

7. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Mrs Abs - so sorry to hear your news. A colleague of mine went through this a couple of years ago and chose option 2. Everything was successful and she went on to have a positive pregnancy and now has a lovely baby daughter. Probably not what you really want to hear now, but just wanted to let you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    take care of yourself, glad you have family around you.
    thinking of you
    xx

8. Best wishes.
    Personally I would go for 2 because you know it has been done cleanly. If 1 did not succeed you'd have to have 2 anyway and that would prolong the agony IMO.

9. Was totally against 2 on wed phoebe, but im gradually coming round to the idea! Im still really hoping that it comes away before tue by itself! Im in such an emotional state, just would have felt better if i had lost it completely and not had to worry for this week, feels like forever!! And to try and make myself feel better iv turned to retail therapy, iv spent £130 in last 2 days buying stuff for my new class, start a new school after summer so using that to try take my mind off things!! Must find something else to do other than spend money!!! Heehee!
    Thanx again everyone, Mrs Abs xx

10. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

I really feel for you and your hubby and I know nothing anyone can say will lessen the pain your both going through. I had similar experience last year 29/07. I decided to opt for option 2 (even though I'm scared of everything, needles etc), but figured if the other option didn't work, I'd still end up going to theatre anyway. Probably not much concelation, but it was infact a year ago today I had this procedure and I am currently 34 weeks pregnant. I'm not saying that another baby will replace your loss (nothing will), I just mean that there's no reason why you won't go onto have a successful, healthy pregnancy.
    My friend recently had similar experience in March. She opted for 1st option and ended up in hospital 3 days waiting to make sure everything had passed. I'm not saying that this is likely to happen to you, just thought I'd mention it. At the end of the day it has to be yours and your husbands decision and you need to feel comfortable (as comfortable as you can at this emotional time) that you've made the right decision.
    My thought are with you and your husband x

11. Thankx baileyblade, it helps to know that other people have been through this and have a happy ending!!
    Going to hospital tomorrow and still havnt decided what to do if i have to choose! I really appreciate your advice!
    Have been bleeding alot since wed, with several clots, especially in the mornings, i just hope its enough to have cleared it all out and it wont be there at scan tomorrow!! I just dont know how much bleeding and clotting to expect for it to clear! I imagine it is different for everyone! Fingers crossed the decision doesnt have to be made!
    MrsAbs x

12. I had option one. It was a miserable day, but the sac passed ok and after that I was OK. Just a little sad. I do now have a beautiful son, so as someone else said there is something to look towards.
    Thinking of you x

13. Thinking of you today, Mrs Abs xxx

14. Thanks for all your wishes!
    Was in hospital from 9 til 2 today, everything seemed to take forever! Had scan and sac still growing, size for 7+5 and im supposed to be 13! (Lucky for some...HA!!) So although i thought it might have passed with all the bleeding this week, its still there!
    Decided for option 1, as I was a wreck when she just took my blood and my husband was gutting himself when he saw my heartrate was at 100 and i was just sitting there waiting for blood to be taken, not normal apparently...LOL!!!!! So got first pill and to go back all day on Thur to take rest of meds and painkillers etc, and wait to see if it passes!!!
    Im back to school a week on Friday so hope its all over by then!!
    MrsAbs xx

15. Have been thinking about you today. Hope all goes as well as can be expected on Thursday xxxx

16. Thinking of you. PM me if you need anything as have been in your position xxx

17. Thanks again for your posts,its nice to know that people who i'v never met before have remembered what i'v been going through and has been a great support!
    Thankyou dimpled for your kind offer, and i may take you up on that after tomorrow! Not looking forward to it but midwives have prepared me on what to expect, and it doesnt sound pretty, but this sac has to pass one way or another so dont have much choice but to go for it!!
    Had terrible bleeding and clotting today, I think its been heavy but i bet its not a patch on what will happen tomorrow!! (Sorry if tmi)
    Will keep you all posted on how things go tomorrow!!
    MrsAbs xx

18. I don't suppose that you'll be on here today beforehand but just wanted to say that I hope that today goes as well as can be expected for you. Like a lot of others on here, I have been through this too and have some idea how you are feeling. Take care xx

19. Just to let you all know that things went as well as they could today and slightly better than expected!!
    Came home last night after a day of shopping with terrible cramp and bleeding, had hot water bottle on tummy and took paracetamol but didnt ease so went for a bath which seemed to help. Passed a huge clot in bath then had cold sweat, was in EXTREME Pain, never experienced anything like it, for 3mins or so and felt like i was constipated and really needed to push!!! Went to toilet and passed sac, the pain was over instantly!!!! Went for scan today and all clear so didnt need a day in hospital or 2nd lot of medication, was so relieved and so was hubby! Although, they wouldnt let me leave without puting me through some pain...typically i have negative blood type so had to have Anti-D injection before another pregnancy.
    I feel bad to be happy, but im just so glad its all over and we can start again. We move house in 2weeks and I start work in a new school a week tomorrow so we are going to give ourselves a month or so to settle, enjoy eachothers company and let my body recover and then we will be ready and raring to go for it again!
    Thanks so much for all your words of wisdom and supporting advice over the last week or so, it has been a huge help!!!
    Love, MrsAbs xxxxx[​IMG]