1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Empty Classroom Day (A must for all schools!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dcfeducation, May 15, 2012.

1. This is an excellent opportunity to take your learning outdoors so why not click on this link to sign up!
    http://projectdirt.com/group/the-empty-classroom/page/signup
    EMPTY CLASSROOM DAY[/b]
    Taking Learning Outdoors on Friday 6th July 2012[/i] What is the Empty Classroom Day?
    On Friday 6thJuly 2012 pupils will be going outside to learn. The Empty Classroom Day is a project created by a collection of organisations who met at London Sustainable Schools Forum (LSSF) and all support learning outside, school grounds and growing. The day was developed to help schools benefit from outdoor learning and share their best practice with other schools.
    Schools are signing up to support for outdoor learning and to show that one class will be learning outside for one lesson on Friday 6thJuly 2012. Pupils will be;
    • Doing their maths lesson in the playground
    • Making art on city farms
    • Doing bug hunts at nature reserves
    • Running races for school sports days
    • Bird watching in their playgrounds
    • Writing stories in the local park
    • Following maps in Zoos
    • Weeding in the school vegetable patch
    Why are schools doing this?
    Learning outside the classroom can be fun, memorable and healthy. By signing up to the Empty Classroom Day schools are joining together so many pupils experience the benefits of learning outside on Friday 6thJuly 2012.
    Everyone benefits from learning outside*;
    • young people will get the chance to learn in new, more relevant and exciting ways – in particular these can benefit those who find classroom learning difficult
    • teachers will be able to broaden and deepen their teaching skills and subject knowledge while working with more motivated pupils
    • the school can use these new approaches to raise achievement
    • the wider community can benefit through involvement in, for example, developing school gardens of all kinds, leading to a wider understanding of issues such as healthy eating, sustainability and caring for the environment.

2. This is an excellent opportunity to take your learning outdoors so why not click on this link to sign up!
    http://projectdirt.com/group/the-empty-classroom/page/signup
    EMPTY CLASSROOM DAY[/b]
    Taking Learning Outdoors on Friday 6th July 2012[/i] What is the Empty Classroom Day?
    On Friday 6thJuly 2012 pupils will be going outside to learn. The Empty Classroom Day is a project created by a collection of organisations who met at London Sustainable Schools Forum (LSSF) and all support learning outside, school grounds and growing. The day was developed to help schools benefit from outdoor learning and share their best practice with other schools.
    Schools are signing up to support for outdoor learning and to show that one class will be learning outside for one lesson on Friday 6thJuly 2012. Pupils will be;
    • Doing their maths lesson in the playground
    • Making art on city farms
    • Doing bug hunts at nature reserves
    • Running races for school sports days
    • Bird watching in their playgrounds
    • Writing stories in the local park
    • Following maps in Zoos
    • Weeding in the school vegetable patch
    Why are schools doing this?
    Learning outside the classroom can be fun, memorable and healthy. By signing up to the Empty Classroom Day schools are joining together so many pupils experience the benefits of learning outside on Friday 6thJuly 2012.
    Everyone benefits from learning outside*;
    • young people will get the chance to learn in new, more relevant and exciting ways – in particular these can benefit those who find classroom learning difficult
    • teachers will be able to broaden and deepen their teaching skills and subject knowledge while working with more motivated pupils
    • the school can use these new approaches to raise achievement
    • the wider community can benefit through involvement in, for example, developing school gardens of all kinds, leading to a wider understanding of issues such as healthy eating, sustainability and caring for the environment.

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

I have an idea. Why not change the date for empty classoom day to 6th August instead? I think you would get 100% take-up.
    [​IMG]

4. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Hope it doesn't rain
    tc
    Voice of Doom
    PS - What a lovely idea

5. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

What a great idea! I will certainly be investigating it

6. tangerinecat

I'm going to go for it. I love working outside, and the added bonus is no marking on a day I have a 50th birthday party to attend!!

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Doesn't anybody do all this anyway? We do.

8. tangerinecat

Well, yes - but not necessarily all on July 6th.

9. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

My classroom will definitely be empty - we break up 29th June! Seriously though I love the idea but here in Spain we are lucky enough with the weather to do this all the time :)

10. How much of your curriculum time is spent outdoors?

11. Don't forget to sign up if you can take part. This is an excellent opportunity!

12. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I would love to see all 600+ children in my school outside all day.
    Wouldn't be chaotic at all!

13. mimo06

mimo06 New commenter

If the children are well managed it wouldn't be chaotic!. It saddens me that some teachers don't see the benefits of outdoor education.

14. Don't forget to sign up for this! Not long to go now!