1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment status if not returning to work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by choca_holic, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Hello, apologies if this has been asked before but ate a quick search I'm still unclear. If I do not intend to return to work after maternity leave and state this from the outset, taking only statutory pay, am I still employed by the school during my 52 weeks of leave? I may or may not return to any job straight after my leave, but am conscious of the benefits of that extra year for pensions. Also, it would presumably look better on application forms for new jobs (if I decide to try and start work straight after mat leave) to date my employment as 2010 - present rather than them instantly seeing I'm 'unemployed'.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It may be candid to not resign, but wait until the end of your maternity leave period. You can decline taking the enhanced maternity pay, which can, if you changed your mind be paid in a lump sum upon return. Some folk who go on leave do this for financial tax benefits so it's not unusual.

3. Thanks daisy! I agree it's probably in my own best interests not to declare my hand straight away, but my school is very small and I think it would be hard to hide my true intentions - the main reason for doing it this way is to relocate (ideally very soon after the birth), so I'd have to give them my new address at the very least! Also we're a tight knit team and knowing my plans would definitely affect my head's decisions over how to replace me. Does anyone know where I would stand in employment terms if I'm honest from the start?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If you resign giving your notice as the point of maternity leave commencing that is the point at which your employment terminates. You need to hand in your notice no later than the 15th week of pregnancy, thereafter being your notice period.