1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment Medical Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vortex566, Mar 20, 2017.

1. vortex566

vortex566 New commenter

I have been employed as a teacher for 4 years and I am about to start a new job after Easter. I was offered the job and have had to fill in a pre-employment medical questionnaire. I disclosed at the interview that I suffered with Bipolar disorder and the head said that it would not be an issue. Occupation health have called to say I need a telephone assessment with a nurse. I’m worried that they will declare me unfit for the role. Would this class as discrimination if they were to refuse employment at this stage? My illness due to the length is classed as a disability as defined by the Equalities Act 2010. My attendance record at my current school is excellent and my illness has never had an impact on my ability to teach.

Am I just been paranoid and worrying for no reason?

2. fairypenny

fairypenny New commenter

Perhaps they are just making sure that they have provided everything you might need with regard to taking the position and ensuring that you have had access to any relevant help, but in your situation, I would also be a little worried. I've had to fill in a medical questionnaire, and I was concerned that the school would find issue with things that have not previously impacted my ability to do my job, but could have an effect if they turned serious. It turned out fine.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm sure @fairypenny is right. It is probably just a bit of a routine exercise to tick some boxes and show they're in a position to offer support in the event it's required.

Please don't worry. I'm sure this is benign.

If it isn't then we can worry later. But don't fret at this point. I am convinced it will be just routine.

fairypenny, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers New commenter

Have had this a few times and never had it be an obstacle to employment. IME, it's to show that the employers have done their due diligence and made sure you know where and how to access support. The fact it's a nurse rather than an HR bod is reassuring, too, as they will no doubt understand that bipolar need not be an obstacle to your doing your job well.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd have the conversation and be positive about the fact they are proactively ensuring you have any support you might need. Once you've made this dead easy contact, you will feel better about contacting them later should you ever need it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. mjashtu2

mjashtu2 New commenter

I am also a teacher with bipolar. What you describe is normal. My attendance record 4 years ago was terrible, however disclosing to school put it all out in the open. At first, rather like you I was paranoid, worried and constantly on edge. Would they sack me? Would they need to see all my medical records? Would be kept confidential?

All the worries were unfounded. Occupational Health were superb and school acted on most of their recommendations.

I still have some days off I'll, mainly to do with disrupted sleep, although you will know this is a classic bipolar sign. It's impossible to teach when you've been awake for 48 consecutive hours.

grumpydogwoman and sabrinakat like this.
  7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy New commenter

Similar story, I suffer from depression. Declared it on medical form. I was phoned by OH. It was just to see if they could do anything to support me. So, my advice, don't worry! :)

grumpydogwoman and sabrinakat like this.
  8. vortex566

vortex566 New commenter

I thought I'd update you all on what happened. OH called today and spoke to a nurse about my condition and she was happy with what I had said and said she would clear me. However, I had a phone call 15 minutes later from the nurse saying she had spoke to someone and that they would clear me for work, but they would recommend that I fill in something called a Advance Statement for Mental Health. I would then need to give this to my employer. So, I'm cleared, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

9. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Established commenter

I think they really are trying to help you. The advance statement appears to be a way for you to stay in control:
    http://www.mwcscot.org.uk/media/128044/advance_statement_final_version_jan_2014.pdf

10. vortex566

vortex566 New commenter

My advance statement was not like that one. My consultant helped me fill it in today. Will just be glad to get started in my new school!