1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment in USA - Visas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Boodle789, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Boodle789

Boodle789 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a teacher currently working in an international school outside of the UK and I'm seeking employment in the USA. I'm hearing that in order to obtain a visa, a candidate needs to be living in their country of origin at the time of application. Does anyone know what the situation is with this information? Is this a countrywide requirement or a state requirement for example? Does anyone know the best place to find out? I've tried to get in contact with the department of education for my preferred state but no luck as of yet.

Any advice or insights appreciated!

2. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

I think it depends on the type of visa you’d be applying for. I was on a J1 and in order to reapply for a J1, there’s a 2 year homestay agreement.

I know people who are on a H1-B and it wasn’t a requirement.

I’m sure you know this already but I believe that any visa requires sponsorship.

3. lilyflower18

lilyflower18 New commenter

If you are looking at the large chain of schools, for the type of visa they sponsor (E-2), it is a firm requirement. All visa requirements are set at a federal (national) level and individual states do not have any say. The State Department's website is your best option for actual information, the Dept of Education will not be able to advise you about visas.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Is this a new thing? A colleague of mine was offered a job at the Washington school last year and he'd been out of his home country for 3 years.

5. lilyflower18

lilyflower18 New commenter

I believe so, within the last few years. It certainly wasn’t the case in 2012 when I got my first E-2 visa. I have a green card now so I’m not as au fait with the visa requirements as I was.

6. Boodle789

Boodle789 New commenter

Thanks all. I've been in contact with an international school who say that teachers must have lived in the UK during a period prior to applying for the visa and that they must be able to attend the embassy interview in London. This all sounds logical to me. I will update if find out anything different!