1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment History

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Araxi Djian, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi All,

My heartfelt sympathies to all who are going through this tough old business of spending hours on applications and then not getting interviews. Same here...

I have a question about 'Employment History'. I am 51, a drama teacher, and have been an actor on an off since 1983 when I left University. This means, during my acting years, lots of short term theatre contracts of 1 to 3 months interspersed with various office or teaching jobs. Also, some substantial periods of teaching and office work.This amounts to an Employment History of 4 sides! And that's 4 sides despite summarising 83 to 90 (the years between Uni and PGCE) by saying 'during this time I was a free lance actor and when not acting I worked as a waitress, cleaner. office temp, workshop leader...' etc.

Are they looking at these 4 sides and thinking 'this is too much.' ? Should I also summarise the other very bitty acting years? Or are they already looking at the summarised seven years between Degree and PGCE and thinking 'this is not detailed enough'. ?

Any thoughts and advice hugely appreciated...

All best,

Patchwork

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'd probably mention school related experience but summarise the rest x

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

They are much more interested in details of teaching experience, although for you post with drama experience in theatre etc is useful but doesn't necessarily impact on pupil learning, therefore just summarize (-in my opinion!)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Right, now the problem is that this list of experience has two separate aims.
    Firstly to show your potential and actual ability to be an outstanding teacher. Secondly to prove that you were not actually in prison for any period.
    The latter reason, incidentally, is why schools are advised not to ask for CVs - beacuse the Govt reckons it is easier to hide the odd six-month jail sentence in that, rather than in the standard format in an application form.
    Daft isn't it?
    I suggest that you do a very summarised version, very summarised, highlighting those periods of employment which support your application. At the end say something like: Due to the nature of the acting profession, my work history is very complex. The above is a summary, and a more detailed version with all dates is also attached as a separate document, should you wish to see it.
    Make sure that you read the Shortlisting and Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread!
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!