1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment based training programme?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sunshine_m, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have an interview for PGCE RE coming up and for this I am filling out a subject audit. Included in this are questions such as "Why should young people learn your subject?" and "What do you think makes a good teacher?". I think I'll be able to answer these OK but the last question has thrown me a bit. It is: "What do you think will be the greatest challenge of learning to teach on an employment based programme?". Not knowing exactly what an employment based programme is I googled it and the results were about the GTP, rather than the PGCE.

Can anyone tell me what exactly an employment based programme is? If it is the GTP then why are they asking me about it for the PGCE interview?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all,

I have an interview for PGCE RE coming up and for this I am filling out a subject audit. Included in this are questions such as "Why should young people learn your subject?" and "What do you think makes a good teacher?". I think I'll be able to answer these OK but the last question has thrown me a bit. It is: "What do you think will be the greatest challenge of learning to teach on an employment based programme?". Not knowing exactly what an employment based programme is I googled it and the results were about the GTP, rather than the PGCE.

Can anyone tell me what exactly an employment based programme is? If it is the GTP then why are they asking me about it for the PGCE interview?

Thanks in advance!

3. Stupid question honestly! You can always say that because of those challenges you aren't doing an employment-based training but PGCE!
    If you do have to answer the question, just say something like having to do all the teacher's tasks as well as learning to teach, possible lack of support, not much chance of reflection - marrying theory with practice, and lack of friendship and support from other student teachers.

4. That's a really weird question for a PGCE.... perhaps they have given you the wrong question? Can you give them a call and see if they can clear it up?