1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employment advice

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by 07019, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 07019

07019 New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I have just written my first resignation letter. I have only been qualified five years but I am on the verge of burnout. Work is having a huge impact on my MH and things are getting more intense.
    I have decided the time has come.
    I was employed on a temp contract which expired last april, but I am still employed and everything carried on as normal. What notice period am I bound to? Can anyone help with advice?
    Thanks!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to gov.uk advice on fixed term contracts

Working longer than the contract’s end date

If an employee continues working past the end of a contract without it being formally renewed, there’s an ‘implied agreement’ by the employer that the end date has changed.
    Looks like your contract has continued even though the school didn't formally renew it, so your notice period now will be whatever was in the original contract. That's the general rule, you'll need to check what your specific contract said. Get advice from your union.