1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employer's NI contribution.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by guinnesspuss, Jan 30, 2012.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Anyone else had the Employer's National Insurance as well as the Employee's taken out of their wages?

2. Are you with an umbrella company such as Key Pay? If so, not surprised!

3. Yeah I get this. Employees NI and Employers NI. Plus tax. Is killing my wage.

Why does this happen? Use to be about 3-4 pound a week now 40 odd each

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Did your agency "forget" to mention all this? That's a reason why they push these schemes as it reduces their overheads.

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I emailed my agency about this as the umberella said the agency should slightly increase my pay to accomodate for it. Yet to get a reply, I have not had any work or offers from them for a while, they still decide to text me virtually everyday asking for availability though.

6. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

lots of people who have never worked on benefits to pay for but when you who has paid into the system lose your job & try to claim??

7. Check if your agency will put you on PAYE. I was using an umbrella company before moving back to one (very large) agency's payroll. I contacted their accounts department and they arranged it. It was very straightforward.
    I would contact their accounts dept directly rather than speaking to the "consultants", because the "consultants" are only interested in making money.

8. My agency only uses an umbrella company. Is there any other way to get paid?

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm fairly sure they can't MAKE you use an umbrella, and have to pay you by PAYE if you wish (they'll have kept this quiet though I'm sure). However, the problem is that if you kick off about it, they may move you over then you discover work dries up......
    They like umbrella companies as it reduces their overheads.

10. Umbrella companies are a big scam, operate fraudulently and should always be avoided!!

11. I have got to the point where I really need to get things straight for HMRC. Stick my neck out, if you will. I was talking about self-assessment and was utterly blown over by just having to submit a couple of numbers. HOWEVER, if they decide to come and look at you with their special magnifying glass which needs to see all, you need to provide paper evidence of everything you haven't paid tax for. If you can't do this, they slap a bill on you. This goes back 5 years.

So, you decide to go as a limited company, they hit you with IR35 and then rape you. If you are a sole trader, they just rape you on the spot.

You have been warned in a big big big way. Tax investigations are not nice. One of my chums is having one at the moment "just a routine inspection" and they will count the pieces of toilet roll you have not used.

12. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Don't get me started on this one. My agency used to pay me directly but now insist that I am paid through Key. I don't if it is some AWR avoidance tactic as being paid through Key or any other umbrella company makes you technically self-employed rather than an agency employee.

13. useless

useless New commenter

I was with Key but now work through my agencies - all of them accept that I don't want to be with Key.

14. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Are you sure its is being deducted as my payslip shows the accumulative amount but never an individual amount for deduction.

15. My agency moved everyone over to an umbrella company after Christmas. I am part time self employed, so really did not want to be paid this way. I told my consultant, and basically just refused, now the umbrella company pay me through PAYE, just as the agency would have done. No fee, no hassle. This may be an option if your agency only use the umbrella for pay, and you don't want to risk the issues surrounding offsetting expenses you shouldn't be claiming against tax.

16. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I've just been onlinet to check my payslip from Reed and there was a big notice that from 10th March all employees claiming for subsistence costs must be able to provide receipts for all claims for the next 13 weeks, and if you are chosen to be "audited" you must be able to provide receipt evidence.
    Interesting ...

17. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

is this legal?
    its as bad as the PPI scandal!!

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do some general shopping several times per week and keep the receipts. Ring items that can be allocated as subsistence foods for meals on several working days that week or the following one.
    This applies only to those supply teachers who are not paid via PAYE. Those paid in the normal way are not entitled to travel and subsistence tax offsets.

19. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

is it legal for them to ask you to pay Employers NI as well as Employee NI?

20. IT DAMN WELL IS!!! You cannot pay or be both. They are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. NO, NO, NO!