1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employee Rights in Morocco

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mamanaia, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hello All,
    I really need some feedback. I just received a highly ambiguous contract to go work in Morocco that had phrases which basically said the position and duties of teachers and the benefits could be changed modified or dropped by the school at their sole discretion.
    I know that type of phrasing is often written into international school contracts, after all I have taught at 4 International Schools. However, the one time the ambiguity became an issue in my contract for me and several of my colleague, we were protected by the labor laws of the country we were working in. I am coming off two really bad teaching experiences and am now worried that such an ambiguous contract can land me in another situation where the managment disrespects and takes advantage of the teachers. Of course, it doesn't mean they will, but this school is undergoing growing pains and there were some negative things said about the school in the past. I do believe they are trying to improve, but when it comes right down to it, the school is privately owned and the "Board" could decide to make changes at will.
    What do you think? What would you do in a situation like this?
    Thanks for feedback and any advice.

2. Hello All,
    I really need some feedback. I just received a highly ambiguous contract to go work in Morocco that had phrases which basically said the position and duties of teachers and the benefits could be changed modified or dropped by the school at their sole discretion.
    I know that type of phrasing is often written into international school contracts, after all I have taught at 4 International Schools. However, the one time the ambiguity became an issue in my contract for me and several of my colleague, we were protected by the labor laws of the country we were working in. I am coming off two really bad teaching experiences and am now worried that such an ambiguous contract can land me in another situation where the managment disrespects and takes advantage of the teachers. Of course, it doesn't mean they will, but this school is undergoing growing pains and there were some negative things said about the school in the past. I do believe they are trying to improve, but when it comes right down to it, the school is privately owned and the "Board" could decide to make changes at will.
    What do you think? What would you do in a situation like this?
    Thanks for feedback and any advice.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

A couple of bad experiences? So you haven't been on the circuit for long then.
    I wouldn't worry about the terminology of a contract, if the school owners decide to change you role from teaching to washing plates, you have a choice top move on.
    Morrocan Labour Laws are probably just like any other in North Africa, but a bad school will always find a way to get round laws and a good school will always respect the contract.

4. hi mamanaia
    i don't have any advice on the situation,but i was wondering if you could give me some advice on how it goes in morocco as i am looking at relocating there myself

good luck!

5. Hi mamanaia,
    First of all I know nothing about the Moroccan law and I cannot tell if the issue involves any illegality, though it's obvious what their contract says isn't so sophisticated.
    It depends on your situation - if you are not so keen to work for the school or in Morocco and you can have an alternative choice, steer clear of such a contract from the beginning. If you are keen or you have no choice, you may take it hoping everything will be okay, and if the school does something illegal, take action against it.
    Unfortunately there seems to be schools which foolishly believe they could do anything once they insert clauses in the contract. However, a contract including illegal clauses tends to be considered as invalid in the eye of the law and they don't realise it until they are pointed out or sued. Your school may fall into this category.
    I feel having illegal/unethical clauses in a contract doesn't necessarily mean they can actually turn them into action because it may be caused just by their ignorance as well as their highhanded behaviour, but it depends on how stupid and unethical your school is, and I'm afraid God only knows.
    Good luck!