1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Employability after PGCE (no A levels)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by CocoaChannel, May 20, 2020.

1. CocoaChannel

CocoaChannel New commenter

I’m wary of giving too many specifics, e.g. subjects, but I’ll try and give the facts.

I’m applying for a PGCE science place and have a couple of interviews lined up. Another provider, however, advised by e-mail that my lack of A levels will make it very tricky for me to secure employment at the end of the course. They might interview me, but I guess they are trying to be helpful and suggesting I do an A level in the subject and try again.

I have a decent degree from a Russell Group uni (not relevant) but entered university via a foundation course. The degree was directly relevant to my intended PGCE subject, I know the subject well, and it is an “in demand” subject.

Glossing over slightly what the recruitment situation will be like in September 2021, how valid is that course provider’s comment about employability without A levels?

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

There is no requirement to have any A levels to be employed as a teacher, you need your QTS and PGCE. To get those you will have met the requirements such as having a degree.

sabram86, Marisha, Stiltskin and 2 others like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Your foundation year at university is the equivalent of A levels.

Marisha, agathamorse and CocoaChannel like this.
  4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

No, no requirement for A'level and it definitely won't affect your employability. Lots of people go via non traditional routes to a degree. Good on you, and good luck with your future plans. I went down a similar path several decades ago, I've never been asked about it and it never held me back. I also have a number of post-grad qualifications that more than make up for any lack thereof.

Some people just talk twaddle.

Marisha, agathamorse and CocoaChannel like this.
  5. CocoaChannel

CocoaChannel New commenter

Thanks all. I had contacted several course providers to go through my qualifications, and all except the one I referred to above were fine with them.

Even if it’s prudent to have an A level in my subject, it’s not a big deal to do this later on. I didn’t understand that one provider’s comments.

PGCE applicants can request a Teacher Training Advisor to help with the application process. Mine advised me if that particular course provider was like that now, I’d be well advised to steer clear.

6. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

They're right, you want a provider that's fully on your side. It's hard work.

Where an A'level can become important is if you are offering a second or third subject and it isn't part of your degree, ie maths without an A'level, or biology where it's not a significant part of your undergraduate studies. The simple answer to that is don't offer to teach them.

CocoaChannel likes this.
  7. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Once you are qualified then A levels are probably irrelevant unless you particularly want to work in a sixth form college that focuses upon A levels. If you prove in your PGCE that you know your subject and can teach well then you will have no problem getting a job,

CocoaChannel and agathamorse like this.
  8. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

A lot of people don't have A levels in their subject or GCSE or O Levels. Teachers of RE, PHSE, PE,
    Business studies. Your degree counts.

Marisha likes this.
  9. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Just to add that the GTCS is so desperate to expand the pool of teaching staff in Scotland that they've said that they're going to be contacting recently retired teachers. When it comes to getting. a job in '21, don't discount Scotland.

CocoaChannel likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s not relevant at all. If you can apply for the job then you are qualified. They then look for your other aspects that you bring to the course. Presumably a history of work which will be an added benefit. I get quite a few come through this route and we never comment on whether they come though this route or through A levels. For a provider to comment is quite poor form.

CocoaChannel likes this.