1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emotions in Early Years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MissMonaLisaSmile, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi my fellow TES'ers!

Question for you all: what is your opinion about showing your emotions in teaching in the Early Years?

We were having a discussion about this in one of my lectures and the opinion was divided.

I, personally, find it difficult to see how you cannot show your emotions in the EY?! Considering 'emotional development' is one of the areas of development in the EYFS, as a teacher and role model, it would be hard not to show your emotions when you're encouraging the children to explore their own emotions.

But I'm intrigued to hear what everyone else thinks :).

Kind regards,

MMLS

2. Hi my fellow TES'ers!

Question for you all: what is your opinion about showing your emotions in teaching in the Early Years?

We were having a discussion about this in one of my lectures and the opinion was divided.

I, personally, find it difficult to see how you cannot show your emotions in the EY?! Considering 'emotional development' is one of the areas of development in the EYFS, as a teacher and role model, it would be hard not to show your emotions when you're encouraging the children to explore their own emotions.

But I'm intrigued to hear what everyone else thinks :).

Kind regards,

MMLS

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

What is meant by showing emotions? How is opinion divided?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I wouldn't cry or lose my temper but I would show excitement or happiness when appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean either.

5. Can you clarify what you mean in this question?
    I would certainly never ever cry in front of my children. However, I would always show if I am cross (appropriately of course), sad, happy, excited.
    Perhaps the question should be what you are sad/happy/excited about. I suppose if you are showing emotion that is directly linked to what the children are doing then that is good. If you're showing emotion that is linked directly to your personal life then that is unacceptable.