1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emotional support needed...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by msbumble, Nov 8, 2016.

1. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

I am just completely and utterly emotionally exhausted.

I am an NQT in a year 5 class. I work in a really deprived area, and there all sorts of well-being issues in my class. One in particular is in foster care, and he is a huge amount of work. He's lovely, and we have developed a good bond, but understandably because of his background, he has a lot of behavioural issues. Things have become more difficult for him at home recently, and his behaviour is becoming increasingly unpredictable. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been told he's said he wants to die, that he hates home, hates school etc.

I should stress that SLT are very supportive, and he has a very good relationship with one particular member of SLT, who I'm practically having daily meetings with in order for us to offer him the best support we can. We have an excellent well-being team, and everyone is doing everything they can.

However, with all the other issues the children in my class face, I am coming home at the end of every day absolutely drained. I can barely face marking books or planning, and most of the time I don't even have the energy to cry and let it all out. I have my own personal issues, including an anxiety disorder and a history of depression, which I don't think is helping matters for myself.

Any kind of advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, before it all gets too much for me.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sorry, no advice or wisdom. I work in secondary, and with the things you learn about the kids and their home lives there's no way I could deal with primary, where you're with them for most of the day and they rely on you much more for the emotional support.

Do you think that perhaps just talking to someone about it might make you feel better? Get your emotions out? Something like the Samaritans, I know people think they're only there for suicidal people, but actually people phone them to talk about all sorts (my friend volunteers for them).

If you feel everything is getting too much for you then speak to your GP.

You can't afford to take all the emotional turmoil home with you long term. If you can't learn to leave it all at school then maybe you need to move to a different school where there's less to take home? Don't feel bad about the fact that you can't leave it at school, just know your own personal limits. Like I said, I couldn't do it.

msbumble and pepper5 like this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

msbumble likes this.
  4. Suewan

Suewan New commenter

Have you heard of the Education Support Network - they're a charity set up to help teachers who are feeling like you do - it might be worth giving them a call? "you can ring our free helpline 24 hours a day on 08000 562 561"

msbumble likes this.
  5. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

I hadn't heard of them, but may well give them a call, thank you!