1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

emotional intelligence

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by canteach, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Hi all

I am planning to do a research topic on the relationshop between received success of restoratice justice and emotional intelligence. Does anyone know of a good (not online) emotional intelligence test I could you to score my participants? Also is anyone aware of any research into this already?
    Many thanks

can teach

2. Hi all

I am planning to do a research topic on the relationshop between received success of restoratice justice and emotional intelligence. Does anyone know of a good (not online) emotional intelligence test I could you to score my participants? Also is anyone aware of any research into this already?
    Many thanks

can teach

3. Though it's not a test but a teacher assessment, we find the Boxall profile helpful when assessing students' emotional intelligence. The problem with any EI assessment though is that behaviour is contextualised. A student might be able to act in a certain way in one situation but might react entirely differently in another. Would you measure them again after one session of Restorative Justice or after having experienced this approach over a long time? I do think Restorative Justice makes a difference to EI, but only after a lot of training and coaching pupils, and when the approach has become ingrained. For some kids with BESD their difficulties mean it's very difficult to implement this. You also need staff who are well trained, skilled and have a lot of time to administer it!

4. There is no such thing as "emotional intelligence". This nonsense was dreamed up by anti-educationalists who despised the idea of intellectual rigour, the idea that there are differences in the intelligences of children and so had to invent something to demonstrate that everyone is 'intelligent in their own way'. What rot!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think you are actually debunking the idea of Multiple Intelligences, Emotional Intelligence, and I'm with you on that!

6. Yes jubilee the idea of Multiple intellegences is nonsense. I remember somebody joking once that we would end up in a world where people would not have a good sense of smell but demonstrate high 'nasal intelligence'!

7. Hi can teach

I can't believe everyone is debunking emotional intelligence so out of hand... your research sounds fascinating and would be great to read - please post if you find some good articles on the link with RJ

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

"This nonsense was dreamed up by anti-educationalists who despised the idea of intellectual rigour"
    However, often students who are intelligent in other ways show emotional intelligence, and students with learning difficulties can struggle to control their own emotions. This is not always the case though.
    My school's learning support department does small group work to try to develop the emotional and social intelligence of some of the students using them. I find that it is useful to consider emotional intelligence at the same time trying to teach my students as rigorously as is possible.
    P

9. Oh yes there is emotional intelligence! Think of autistic people. Though many of these have high IQs they lack the ability to read the emotions of others and respond to them appropriately. On the other hand many confidence tricksters have an exceptional ability to empathise with people but only average IQs.
    ( I.m not at all happy with the use of the term IQ, but can't think of anything else at the moment to convey what I mean) In my opinion IQ tests measure convergent thinking, and very many highly intelligent creative and divergent thinkers do not perform well on them, including many of those with a high degree of emotional intelligence.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Dear annaleigh,
    So do have an emotional intelligence test we can give to all misbehaving students to see if we should be punishing them or giving them a hug?