1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emotional Development point 6...Help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anon40plus, May 23, 2009.

1. help!!!! i feel like i am missing something. i am struggling to find evidence for point 6 on emotional development. i have read the material from the profile guidance and feel as though most of the children will be able to cover this point but i have no evidence in any of the children's individual files which say they can show an understanding of this point. i am not sure if i have just not given them any opportunities to express this point or have just not 'listened' and noted anything down. feeling under pressure to try to 'capture' evidence for profile points before all data is submitted. i have 3 weeks when we return to make sure all data is complete and have been asked by HT and phase leader to ensure 'the easy points' are reached and to target teaching in the next couple of weeks to fill in missing points. hence looking through all points and picking up on the ones that i am not sure of - this (ED6) is one of the points that quite a few children haven't attained. we are a school with almost all children from a 'white' english background. we celebrate all the usual festivals and the children are very interested at the time about what we are covering but the don't make any comments like they suggest in the profile. they do talk about thier own home life and families.
    what evidence do you look for when assessing against this point?
    <font face="Avenir-Light" size="1">

</font>

2. help!!!! i feel like i am missing something. i am struggling to find evidence for point 6 on emotional development. i have read the material from the profile guidance and feel as though most of the children will be able to cover this point but i have no evidence in any of the children's individual files which say they can show an understanding of this point. i am not sure if i have just not given them any opportunities to express this point or have just not 'listened' and noted anything down. feeling under pressure to try to 'capture' evidence for profile points before all data is submitted. i have 3 weeks when we return to make sure all data is complete and have been asked by HT and phase leader to ensure 'the easy points' are reached and to target teaching in the next couple of weeks to fill in missing points. hence looking through all points and picking up on the ones that i am not sure of - this (ED6) is one of the points that quite a few children haven't attained. we are a school with almost all children from a 'white' english background. we celebrate all the usual festivals and the children are very interested at the time about what we are covering but the don't make any comments like they suggest in the profile. they do talk about thier own home life and families.
    what evidence do you look for when assessing against this point?
    <font face="Avenir-Light" size="1">

</font>

3. JEH

JEH New commenter

we were told by county ey advisors that as well as festivals, this covers things like 'how we do christmas / birthdays etc in our family', 'which football team we support', 'what we eat for breakfast' etc. The important thing is that children realise that people do things differently and are interested in and happy to accept these differences. We were also told that recorded evidence is NOT always expected and that the important thing is that we can 'talk about' our children knowledgeably! I'm in Essex. Don't know if that's any help!

4. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

could not your own knowledge and or pictures of children celebrating their own and different cultures count?

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

good advise given above, we celebrate also things going on in our community, birthdays, football results, ufortunately im an arsenal fan workiin with a man u fan, so this quite big in our nursery and we have parents and kids who all join in with our football enjoyment, and tease at the door, hehe

6. I have problems with this one too. We celebrate a range of festivals and do the usual cooking/music etc from different cultures but I'm never confident that this means that the children 'understand' or 'have respect for' rather than 'have experienced'. When I mentioned my concerns to our advisory teacher she said that 'having experienced' was all that we could expect at this age and so was fine.

7. This proves that the profile points are very subjective. I have only got evidence against this point for one child in my class who went to see family in Africa and talked about the different thing they do over there.
    I have hardly any evidence for any of the ED points because it is so difficult to define.

8. I can think of a lot of adults that might not get this profile point either ! I go with have they experienced other celebrations / festivals and have they actively taken part, by asking questions or making cards etc

9. I have given this point to the majority of my children this year as last year I didnt and an EYFS advisor told me I was being too harsh - she said as long as we had provided ample opportunities for children to experience a wide range then most should get the point; they may not neccesarily comment/provide any work related to it.
    My school is all white British so what I did this year to try to justify giving them all the point was to have a 'multicultural' themed half term in Summer 1 where we explored lots of different countries and cultures through adult input (after showing them some images of children form around the world we asked the children which countries they would like to know more about/interested in and used that for our planning) provided resources for children to explore indpendentlyand it has been clear to see the enjoyment they have had by exploring this; they have learnt so much.
    We also celebrate other festivals/religions throughout the year too, we dont just leave it to Summer term! Seems to have worked well this year.

10. I discussed this point with a LA moderator last year and as part of an ongoing PSED project. Their advice was to focus less on the "religious" aspect of cultural development as this is covered in KUW. Instead, this point is covered through discussions of how things happen in your house, compared to your grandma's or your friend's, for example. We had a series of circle times, following the SEAL programme, where we discussed this. We had some lovely comments about having to take shoes off at nanny's house but not at their house, and sitting at the table for meals or not. Obviously there is teacher discretion as to whether you think the children understand this rather than only discussing it but teacher judgement lies at the root of many of the scale points.
    Why don't you give your LA advisor a ring?