1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emotional and Cultural Intelligence

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by toggle2, Feb 19, 2011.

1. <font size="3">Hiya, just a quick email for advice!</font><font size="3"></font><font size="3">The school wants me to write a one-page summary to say why some teachers may not succeed in international school environments even if fantastic teachers.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I have thought things like:</font><font size="3">Culture differences/misunderstandings</font><font size="3">Inability to make contact with the local people/Can't speak the language/ frustrated when unable to communicate to others</font><font size="3">Diff traditions </font><font size="3">Diff Weather </font><font size="3">Homesick</font><font size="3">Not got used to how things are done compared to home (e.g. Ecuador was very laid back)</font><font size="3">Not used to food - no sensitivity etc</font><font size="3">Not used to customs</font><font size="3">Facial/emotions not as easy to read</font><font size="3">Relationship with students/student parents/ and other staff</font><font size="3">Being part of a multicultural staff and society</font><font size="3">Normal freedoms e.g. pop to get milk</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Can't think of any else!</font><font size="3">Hope you understand what I mean and if you can think of any others free to let me know!</font><font size="3"> </font> Thanks in advance!

2. Sorry auto formatted!
    <font size="3">Hiya, just a quick email for advice!</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">The school wants me to write a one-page summary to say why some teachers may not succeed in international school environments even if fantastic teachers.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I have thought things like:</font>
    • Thanks in advance!

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Is this a school you currently work for or one you're applying to?
    If the later, perhaps don't bother. What kind of school asks a crackpot question like that to candidates?[​IMG]
    If the former, buggr, weird school.[​IMG]

4. Dear OP,

Any school or indeed other organisation that focuses on the negative at interview or application stage should be avoided like the proverbial plague.

Smacks of inexperience and madness. Mistermuckraker's outfit, supposedly in Malaysia? Sounds like something he would ask...

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Yet somehow you failed to notice I've already suggested, if this is a question in prep for interview, to perhaps avoid the school. You seem to suffer from have either limited intelligence or poor reading skills; hard to tell which.
    This is more acceptable if a current member of staff is asked to research the issue, say in preparation for developing an induction course; the OP should be clear on the purpose.

6. Dear Mr. Inexperienced and volatile Muckraker,
    Didn't miss your post at all! God forbid I ever apply for a job at 'your' school. Think I would sus out who you are rather more quickly than a jaguar pounces on its prey!
    My suggestion is proven by your acceptance of the negative way of looking at things as indicated in the second paragraph of your latest epistle. Fancy suggesting that a member of staff prepare for an induction course by looking at the negatives of teaching abroad! Exactly the sort of thing I suggested you would do.
    Several experienced posters on here have noted your rather emotional and self-obsessed posts. Methinks you have been promoted above your ability and level of wisdom. Or do you work at the Hahaheel International School in Kuwait?
    Chill man!

7. Evening,
    Ok, let me clear up the misunderstanding of my my post!
    this is the brief:
    Please write a <u>one page summary</u> about the concept of Emotional Intelligence and Cultural Intelligence and how you are prepared for living and working abroad, using the following statement as a guide: What causes some administrators and teachers who have been successful in their respective national systems of education to stumble and fall once they enter the circuit of international schools? We would suggest its because they do not display the characteristics of a highly effective teacher, nor or they culturally or emotionally intelligent. In most cases it is not because he or she lacks the content knowledge or craftsmanship. It is because they fail to make the cultural transition. You may use your summary to answer this question verbally, as part of the interview

8. I did initially think it meant why people fail in international schools due to the cultural and emotional differences....It's the statement that is causing me doubt.