1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emojis - I love them

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Jul 9, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

This is a good find imho:

‘The problem with the rolling eyes emoji is that the design differs depending on the platform. And this leaves many users confused about what the face actually means. On an iOS device - the face has a straight mouth and seems to be looking upwards. On Android, the eyes are looking to the side and the mouth is in a displeased shape. ‘

For me the emoji ‘ :rolleyes: ‘ as used on this platform is in fact looking up and smiling . Not as some say it is wrongly labelled as ‘rolling eyes’ . Either way, it’s fascinating to see an emoji deleted on these forums - but not the words that went with it.

It makes one wonder how a single emoji used without breaking any rules can seem so offensive in my view. Thank goodness there are some emoji lovers left.

Otherwise we would live in a very boring, dictatorial and blinkered world in my view lacking in free speech, emotions and the right to have a positive outlook :cool::D:)o_O

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Emojis are ...ok, but gifs are better.

3. install

install Star commenter

Funny you show that - sometimes it feels like that doesn’t it?

4. install

install Star commenter

:rolleyes: Now you are talking. I love gifs too.

butties likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

tenor(3).gif

butties, install and coffeekid like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The word "allegedly" makes it an adverb clause of condition. I trust you noticed that.

I did clarify that point in my subsequent post, together with a link.
    Indeed. This forum is a classic example. And from the same posters, day after day after day!

Oscillatingass, Jamvic and DrLinus like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That went the first week of lockdown.
    ***EMOJI ALERT***
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

butties and install like this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

I love "allegedly", nomad!
    It usually means "I totally agree but now you can't blame me." :D
    I find I have to use an emoji every time I post now and the choice on here is pretty limited.

monicabilongame, nomad and install like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Thank you

Do you hate all emojis and never use them ?

10. install

install Star commenter

:rolleyes:Agree totally.

It’s fascinating given derogatory words like ‘d - - n’ might be seemingly okay but not an emoji. I cannot imagine an ‘emojiless’ world. It must be dire...and very ‘bah humbug’ :(

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

:rolleyes: I love the alert warning - it made me smile too...

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D
    I originally used the word 'allegedly' as I was taking the information from an online 'emoji dictionary', believe it or not, having researched the possible reasons why it might be offensive. I have no real experience of the subtle (or even the none too subtle) meanings of emojis and the suggestion that the roll-eyes emoji had sexual connotations was news to me.

Basically, though, it seems that this emoji was used by one poster to deliberately annoy another, to the extent that a report was made and the 'offending' emoji removed.

My contribution to this thread was really to try to keep the peace, as the last thing we need on here is any additional flaming which, in my opinion, is what this thread was designed to do. In my opinion, mind. I cannot see into the minds of others.

I enjoy robust discussion, but sadly this forum all too often descends into bile, venom and unpleasantness from some posters who, I know through having met them in real life, are really quite nice when away from the computer and the temptation to flame.

13. Aquamarina1234

Deliberately annoy? Fun, you mean?
    DUCK! Here comes another one! :D

install likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Possibly.

It was not that long ago that I had to talk with a couple of kids and try to explain that prodding a cat with a sharp stick was not fun for the cat.

Having fun at the expense of others is not really the best way for mature adults to be spending their time. No one on this forum can be sure of the state of emotional health of other posters, particularly after the impact of the pandemic and subsequent lockdown, and deliberately winding them up (or 'fun', as you call it) is hardly supportive or productive.

Still. It takes all sorts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    ilovesooty and Oscillatingass like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Not quite true in this case @nomad And we have never ever met. You don’t think we have do you?

I doubt this will descend into ‘bile, venom and unpleasantness’ and that has never been my nature, and it’s sad that you say you have seen this on some forums imho.

Needless to say - as I always do - good debating means not attacking the person ( as happened to me imho) but arguing the point. There is no need for derogatory words, personal attacks or wrong claims in my view.

And if anyone comes across a direct and insulting personal attack, I would advise them to report the post as I did in my case. The moderators will - if they agree- delete it or edit it.

Let’s keep it positive , emoji happy and let’s all realise that we may not all agree but we all have feelings, experiences and valid opinions. There is no need for insults or false clans anywhere in my view.

Get ready for a happy emoji..,, :)

16. install

install Star commenter

Time for a happy song. Enjoy if you love emojis.

If you don’t like emojis - do avoid, but none of them should be upsetting really. They are just showing their feelings and within what is agreed as acceptable:

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

@install Have you got shares in this emoji movie?

bombaysapphire, install and nomad like this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

I wish - it made an absolute mint. It’d be good if these forums had more emojis from the movie too.

monicabilongame and Jamvic like this.
  19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I think this is such an important point and people should remember this before they post. Not just on this thread, but on all threads.

ilovesooty, nomad and install like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Completely agree - and no one should be aiming to upset others anywhere with direct personal attacks or untrue claims.

I think it’s important to keep it positive.

There may be posters who don’t get out much sadly or see others all day long. Others who possibly do take things the wrong way because they have maybe been cooped up so long. I do think these forums are useful though where everyone plays by the rules.