1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emojis - I love them

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Jul 9, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I have used the emoji when I think the situation is crazy. Certainly not to express contempt or disdain. In fact I used it the other day in a PM to some moderators. Perhaps that is why they haven't replied ... :)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I much preferred the previous set of emojis provided by TES. I’m not impressed by those currently on offer.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I would have thought that, if an emoji was intended to insult or offend, TES wouldn’t have included it in their choices.

4. install

install Star commenter

Same here. I have used all emojis in a positive way in all forums and cannot imagine how people see their use negatively. I think this is the only forum I have encountered where some seem to find their accepted use somehow against the rules when they are clearly not.

Indeed why would the forum supply them at all if they were somehow prohibited. I think it is more about people taking their use in the wrong way.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Well aren't you all the saintly ones. I use rolly eyes if I think someone's talking out of the incorrect orifice. And this one o_O if I fear their marbles may be irretrievably lost.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Who'd a thought emojis would get people going! Now if we had a bare bum emoji or a middle finger emoji ....

install likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

:rolleyes: Love it.

And have you ever had the single emoji on its own ever deleted having used it but not any of the words that went with it?

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Dear God emoji. It was smothered at birth, unfortunately.

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

:rolleyes: Exactly the point. And totally agree.

And posters use emojis all the time on many forums besides this one. It’s odd isn’t it for anyone to seemingly get so upset about a single emoji that is so widely accepted.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

FeY is the irony code.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Have you cast aside your lycra?

install and alex_teccy like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

upload_2020-7-9_17-15-8.jpeg

Ivartheboneless and install like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Yes there is also a ‘praying hands’ one which I have seen doing the rounds. One member has found that troubling on another site.

I think it’s okay tbh and again bears derogatory language or swearing or other such words that might cause genuine offence.

14. install

install Star commenter

Thank you - this made me laugh.

I could imagine someone complaining about that one tbh.

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

The praying hands emoji can also be seen as 'high five' and is often used as an addition to saying 'thank you' or 'well done' etc

If you type 'thank you' into WhatsApp, it will bring up the 'praying hands/high five' emoji as a suggestion

install likes this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh, good grief! Hidden sexual connotation? Do tell because, try as I may, I cannot glean that from the emoji!

Some people do seem intent on seeing the negative in everything. You know, it may simply be intended to indicate frustration or even just boredom...

https://emojipedia.org/face-with-rolling-eyes/

Face with Rolling Eyes
    A yellow face with a small, closed mouth, flat or frowning, rolling its large, white eyes upwards. As with the gesture of an eye-roll, commonly conveys moderate disdain, disapproval, frustration, or boredom. Tone varies, including playful, sassy, resentful, and sarcastic, as if saying Yeah, whatever.

install likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Thank you

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Agree . I think some see something that isn’t there and never was there.

Yes, I asked about the other connotation too but got no reply. Hadn’t heard of it being interpreted that way before. And again, if it had such a negative connotation in reality why would such an emoji be allowed to be used in the choices for this forum ?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    monicabilongame likes this.
  20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Like this?

tenor.gif

monicabilongame, ajrowing and install like this.