1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emojis - I love them

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Jul 9, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An emoji with large open eyes, with the pupils directed upwards, signifying an epic eye roll. The face with rolling eyes emoji is used for when you need to show disdain, frustration, disregard or antipathy. Though, confusingly and quite annoyingly, this emoji appears quite different on Samsung devices than on all other platforms, showing the emoji with a smiling face, possibly changing the interpretation quite drastically. For this reason, it should be used with great caution, at least initially. Although usually it’s used quite innocently – albeit, slightly passive aggressively – it should be noted that it can also have quite an overtly sexual meaning, where the rolling eyes are used to signify the moment of orgasm!
    http://hyemoji.com/Face With Rolling Eyes

You may wonder if those offended by the use of an emoji are insecure in some way, but there are also questions to be asked about posters who deliberately use a specific emoji in order to wind another poster up, as has happened on another thread.

Perhaps, in the interests of good relationships and sensible conversation on this forum, now is the time to stop pushing this [rather childish, IMO] agenda?

2. install

install Star commenter

I am not sure we agree. And that sounds like a big imagination to be fair.

I have always loved emojis and they are in fact allowed to be used. No breach was made on my part or personal attack but I do think maybe it’s down to sensitivities.

Indeed your post wrongly claimed imho that an emoji was somehow aggressive and abusive. It isn’t of course imho. And that was why I reported it and your post I think was removed.

It is important that we can all have a good debate. So please feel free to leave the debate if you find any emoji offensive. I think it best if we just ignore each other tbh - and agreeing to disagree as far as emojis are concerned.

Moving on with the debate. Indeed if there were a problem with an emoji, all posts would need to. removed that contained that particular emoji. Yet they are here for posters to select from.

I wonder if it is more about how an emoji in itself is perceived (possibly wrongly ) by a poster and at a point where their argument is flawed.

For me emojis are great. They are full of life, full of colours and catch a moment.

3. install

install Star commenter

Thank you.

Yes I agree on one hand. Yet people interpret emojis differently and the supposed ‘eyes rolling’ one ( for me not rolling but staring up) or any others are in fact all allowed and available on the forum
    choices. So should they not be allowed then?

I don’t agree it’s childish either to discuss them and if their use causes seeming upset for posters. And when so many posters are using them and even the looking up one. Indeed the emoji movie takings are certainly not childish by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe it is an age / personality thing ? As I’ve stated we seem to either love them or hate them.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I prefer words. We've had thousands of years to develop a huge range that can communicate ideas and emotions far more accurately and with more universally accepted interpretations.
    Using emojis is just a lazy regression of language... imho

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You know full well I reported your post for making personal attacks, I posted to tell you I was going to do that. I asked mods to remove my post at the same time as it made no sense once they had edited yours. Mods haven't removed any post of mine for breach of TES T&C. My post asking you politely and professionally not to make personal attacks on me is till there. Mods did edit your posts though to remove the emojis in question

I don't find any emoji offensive per se. Context and intent is everything.

I have no interest in further discussion with you on the subject so your wish for me to ignore you is granted.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  6. install

install Star commenter

Thank you

Agree in part. Maybe it’s a technology thing too - a form of fast communication.

For me ‘:)’ for example shows the sender is happy. ‘:cool:’ looks a bit more judgemental . And ’:rolleyes:’ for me is looking up with a smile, although many are using it as the ‘eyes rolling’ . I don’t see disdain in it at all.

The saddest one ‘:(’ I guess shows sadness at the outcome.

I think we need more imho.

7. install

install Star commenter

I have reported your post nevertheless . Sorry I believe it Ito be wholly inaccurate and untrue. Just checked again - they have edited your claim and taken bits out which is fair.

I suspect the emoji has been removed due to your seeming perception rather than breaking any rules or any breach on my part as your post wrongly claims in my view.

There may be emojis from me and other posters of course so feel free to ‘ignore’ me.

Happy debating poster. No hard feelings. I won’t use the happy, smiley face in case it causes offence.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

May I suggest that you place your mouse cursor over that emoji and right click. You should see : rolleyes : but without the spaces. If you cannot see that, click on 'Inspect element' when you will see the same - colon 'rolleyes' colon.

As an alternative, if I bracket that particular emoji, i.e., a :rolleyes: within () and post it I get the following: :)rolleyes:) as it is a class of smiley.

Now that it is pretty damn clear that whatever YOU think it is, it is a roll eyes emoji, used to express contempt or disdain, I suggest you consider that carefully before posting it.

And please stop using it to deliberately wind up other posters.

9. install

install Star commenter

Not for us phone users.

Indeed I have already stated what it says it supposedly represents but one can clearly see a smiley face with eyes looking up.

Indeed if this emoji were offensive it wouldn’t be available. And it use used regularly by all the posters that use such an emoji. I think other popular ones are the smiley face, the winking emoji, and the laughing one too.

And it gets more fascinating. So for example, do you think your post’s use of the word ‘d - - n’ might be more offensive than an emoji ?

I want to use the blue one that looks like a judge but I won’t at this point. Emojis are not childish in my view and don’t replicate derogatory words but they do cover a range of feelings and more lately actions imho.

10. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Gardening threads are quite good for getting on with fellow posters who you otherwise might not have much in common with ... :)

11. install

install Star commenter

Funny you should mention gardening. that too.

I do have some lovely sunflowers and they are the spitting image of smiley faces. But they needs lots and lots of watering...

12. CheeseMongler

The emojis are available to express emotions at anything. If you were using it to convey your frustration/disdain/disregard of a news story, it wouldn't be offensive. Directing those emotions at another poster is offensive.

13. install

install Star commenter

And that is where it gets fascinating. Looking through several posts shows emojis being used in reply to other posters.

Not sure how one would direct an emoji at another poster though ?

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. CheeseMongler

:rolleyes:

install likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

So yes that’s fine by me.

It’s an emoji looking at the words in a post or as others might claim rolling its eyes at the words in the post. We see it lots on these forums. And other emojis are presented in that way too.

But it isn’t directed at the person in the post ..more the words in the post. So it isn’t a direct personal attack at all in my view.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

‘Imho’..,I do use it, along with LoL rarely, and the ‘ :rolleyes: ‘ as in looking up, ‘:)’ to show happiness, and the ‘:p’ and ‘:D’ too.

It’s swearing or derogatory language that would be irritating for me. And far more unacceptable than an emoji or accepted abbreviation.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

People are offended by emojis???
    What new snowflaky hell is this? :eek:

18. install

install Star commenter

I know and I think the same - it’s bad news for emoji lovers :(

On the plus side, maybe there needs to be another movie:)

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Nobody has been offended by emojis AFAIK. or if they have they haven't said so on this thread. Seems a bit unlikely anyone would be offended by emojis per se :(. I certainly wouldn't be.

But context and intent is everything. People can use emojis inappropriately and unpleasantly, just as they can use words, if they choose to.

20. install

install Star commenter

Here is a clip from the emoji movie to cheer everyone up - love it. This one is good to dance too as well.

It’s time we had more choice in my view. Let’s have more happy and positive faces :