1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emojis - I love them

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Jul 9, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

Seen the movie. Love emojis and they are great to use now and then. So what is your favourite and why? :rolleyes:

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I like the "irony" emoji. Where has it gone? And the other invisible ones.

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Haven’t seen the irony one. But love this one looking up ‘:rolleyes:’ lately..Wish there were more to choose from tbh.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have no favourite.

However, This face with rolling eyes - :rolleyes: - is used to show disdain, contempt or boredom about a person or topic and so should be used cautiously in order not to cause offence.

Sometimes the Eye Roll Emoji allegedly has a hidden sexual connotation, and therefore should not be used as a part of speech.

jellycowfish, Kandahar and ajrowing like this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I dislike them intensely.

install likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

It’s a fascinating take on pictures isn’t it.,

I don’t think it shows any of those things. And the eyeballs are certainly not ‘rolling’ or moving imho. For me it’s an emoji looking up at the post above. Otherwise the forum providers wouldn’t have it in the choices to select from. What other connotation are you referencing - have not heard that one before?

Indeed the smiling one might be offensive by that argument ‘:)’ because it just smiling ...

I wonder if those offended by the use of an emoji are insecure in some way? Perhaps they wrongly think it reveals something about them when it doesn’t at all.

It’s a good one for the psychologists imho.

7. Ivartheboneless

The irony is ... there is no irony one!
    upload_2020-7-9_8-42-58.jpeg

monicabilongame and install like this.
  8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

I think it’s a marmite thing. One either loves them or hates them. But the forum does provide an array of them to be used.

10. install

install Star commenter

That did make me giggle..thank you. Indeed without emojis what would we use - other symbols?

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I use the eye-roll one to indicate frustration or disbelief. If anyone's ever thought I was coming on to them, please form an orderly queue and I'll try and accommodate as many of you as I can at this busy time. :rolleyes:

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Are you using that one to show frustration or disbelief?!

install likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Phwoar! ;):p

butties and install like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

I like it because it is looking up at the post above.

The looking up one was deleted from one of my posts. Yet there it is on offer to be used. And being used by many other posters.

You couldn’t make it up. I do wonder what is going on...

The smiling one is another of my favourites ‘:)’ .

15. install

install Star commenter

That’s 2 together

Careful there are seemingly some who might take umbrage even at a single emoji .,, I kid you not .

I think a viewing of the Emoji movie is in order.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  16. install

install Star commenter

I do love them in a row like a party too. Here are the current choices (some might say suspects) :

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

I’d like to see far more in my view.

colpee likes this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Isn’t it neither - or is it down to how each poster using it interprets it?

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I quite like emojis. I don’t use them much on here as there is a limited choice. I use them a fair bit on WhatsApp though.
    I see the rolling eyes as a humorous looking up at the sky in disbelief :rolleyes:
    However, although not an emoji, I hate the proliferation of pnemonics - ROFL, PML, OMG, etc. However, I save most of my ire for ......... LOL
    (There is a poster on TES who uses IMHO in almost all of their comments. Seriously?! Nobody can be that humble (or honest, depending on which version you consider))

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is that tongue emoji a sign of intention? :eek:

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well mods seem to think that's what it shows as they've removed them from your posts overnight for breach of the personal attack T&C.

I imagine that's why you have started this thread