1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emo whine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Interesting performance, but he was obviously absent when they covered rhyming couplets.

I prefer this Emo's take on childhood and school, especially his visit to the Educational Psychologist:

coffeekid and cassandramark2 like this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

The moaning one seems to not know what the internet's for.

4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

He's really quite irritating. I'm 1 minute 55 seconds in and I'm going to stop listening now.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmm....

A lot of the things he says he should have been taught are to my mind reasonable but are also accessible in school if done well... first aid for example through Duke of Edinburgh courses... and a lot of the financial stuff should be being delivered through solid PSHE provision. And the human rights/law stuff would be through decent citizenship provision.

But these aren't prioritised in a lot of schools... usually because of the results focus of modern management. So I do have some sympathy with him [though I agree, he is quite irritating and seems to care too much about his hair]

Are schools there to impart knowledge, skills [for the use of knowledge] or life skills? ...

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Of course we're assuming he went to a state school. If so, a fair bit of what he's whingeing about would be attempted in Citizenship, if anyone was awake in the lessons. He could be forgiven for glazing over in Citizenship - I did so myself a few times.

lanokia likes this.
  7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I guess so
    I don't believe I was taught any of those things either but I soon found out about them even though, back then, we didn't have the internet.
    He does, so what's his problem?
    If he can't learn for himself perhaps that is the problem he should address

lanokia likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In my day, life skills were considered as valuable as knowledge. You can always acquire knowledge, when it's relevant and you actually need it.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people from my generation ask "What was the point of doing so and so at school? I've never had occasion to use that knowledge at any point in my life. I wish we'd spent more time doing X or Y."

I guess it's difficult drawing up a curriculum that suits everyone. I regret that my schools didn't offer music lessons, for example. I also regret that that although there were excellent sports facilities, there was never a PE teacher throughout my entire time at school who would teach us how to acquire sporting skills.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If he'd paid more attention in school he'd know what infer means.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  11. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

You have found someone as irritating as you? Well done.